Canon New Product Launch - 17th July 2024

BTM_Pix

On 7/26/2024 at 7:48 AM, Davide DB said:

Disclaimer: I'm sure this is a bombastic camera but the article is way below the minimum journalism standard. 

It is really shameful how they distort reality or omit details that make a difference. How disgusting.

And

Yes, that's pretty ridiculous. Reminds me of Peter Mckinnon in his review of the R5 when the overheating light came on in the middle of his review.....he explained it away saying of course it's going to get hot shooting 8K footage....it was his ONLY mention of overheating well before the R5 showed its true colors and there is no way that's the only time it overheated on him during his review of the camera. I have never watched one of his videos since.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It looks like Potato Jet did some preliminary overheating testing with the R5II and it will definitely still overheat even at 4K30FPS when using oversampling but the 4K30FPS line skipped or whatever the other mode is, seems risky but promising. The overheat warning seems to reach close to the shutdown point but it never actually shut down during his tests. 

The R7 on the other hand overheats around 48min when using 4K30FPS Fine and I have never seen the overheat temp gauge when shooting in line skipped mode.

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The S1H still has a better image though.

Especially in low light.

The overheating issues are not the big problem this time, rather the price and lens mount is.

I agree the S1H somehow still has some kind of secret sauce that beats the R5II's image quality, not sure what it is but unless subsequent tests prove otherwise, there's still something about the S1H that sets its IQ apart.

I think the R5II's price is going to be an issue for photographers that already have the R5 since you really don't gain much in the way of photography, but for video shooters no record limit, the increased raw options and the fact that you can offset the price quite a bit by selling your current R5 would make it a better value proposition.

I don't think the lens mount is going to be a problem. There are tons of cheap EF glass out there and the vND RF to EF adapter is fantastic for video; it turns any RF mount into a mini C70 with the only drawback being that you have to swap filters when it starts getting dark to gain 2 stops of light.

I have had the R5 for about 2yrs now and still only own a single RF lens...the RF 70-200 F2.8 for portrait work. The RF 24-105 F2.8 looks like a very attractive option for my C70 since the C70 has internal ND filters, but there is no way I am paying $3KUSD for it and I wouldn't use it for the R5 or R7 since I wouldn't be able to use my vND with it.

So had a play with R5II in store today

They fixed IBIS wobble for wide.

4k120p is now only 300Mbps instead of R5's 1880Mbps and with sound too

FHD 240fps with sound as well, that will be pretty epic for shooting action/sports etc.

The false colour is nice, it gives u a guide too so you know what to look for.

Clog2 does seem to give that more DR vs Clog3. In clog 3 there is white bar on the right on histogram but clog2 u have full range.

The tracking with the ability to stick to 1 subject completely or occasionally change or change more often, in conjuction with face register that should able to keep say bride/groom in focus all the time instead of random people that is on the screen.

I tried eye focus for a bit, but since I did basic calibration so the system might still need tune more, for now I still prefer touch screen/joystick. 

And no 60mbps ipb lite vs R5, 100mbps is the lowest for 4k25p and 150mbps for 4k50p.

Ability to choose fine 1080p is nice, but there is no 4k fine in crop 4k60p though, since I can't take my own card so I can't verify if it does supersampled 4k50p on crop。

20240810_111218.jpg

20240810_111216.jpg

20240810_104433.jpg

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

4k120p is now only 300Mbps instead of R5's 1880Mbps and with sound too

Jee Zus. Is that how big it was before?! I'm happy with my 200Mbps 6k with Lumix. Couldn't imagine nearly 10x that!

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Jee Zus. Is that how big it was before?! I'm happy with my 200Mbps 6k with Lumix. Couldn't imagine nearly 10x that!

Yeah r5's 4k120p is all-I only, so in terms of practicality R5II is massive improvement on that.

R5II's 4kSraw for 25p/24p is like 350mbps, that is much more manageable vs R5's 8k only raw with huge 1700mbps. But then again not having card to test is a bummer, really keen to see how it fare with c70's 4k raw.

On 8/10/2024 at 4:18 PM, ntblowz said:

Yeah r5's 4k120p is all-I only, so in terms of practicality R5II is massive improvement on that.

R5II's 4kSraw for 25p/24p is like 350mbps, that is much more manageable vs R5's 8k only raw with huge 1700mbps. But then again not having card to test is a bummer, really keen to see how it fare with c70's 4k raw.

This user provides some download links in their video description to some sample raw files.  I checked out a few of them, they just seemed average to me, maybe because the scenes were not challenging; to me they felt no different from my R7 filming the same scene but with much larger files.

On paper the R5 II seems like a big leap ahead of the R5 let alone the R7, but so far, the footage just looks pretty average to me. Average isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when my R7 is so capable and meets my needs so well I kind of expect something more for $4300.

Raw is nice and all since you can change the WB, but HEVC is already so good with much smaller file sizes that raw is starting to feel like its overhyped. The R5II IMO still doesn't match the S1H or BM cameras in terms of video IQ; I was hoping for R5 photography features/quality and S1H image quality for that price.

What I really want to see is a proper video DR test, I seriously doubt it is 16 usable stops but 14 would be nice.

15 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Puzzles me how a camera can be the best capture device out there as that YT entry seems to make us believe when overheats like a toaster without remedy...

I think by now everyone knows 8K out of the R5 and R5II is just a marketing gimmick. 4K overheating performance is all most people myself included care about. All tests so far seem to indicate the 4K30FPS and 4K60FPS are quite useable out of this camera. 

The bigger concerns IMO is no dual card redundancy for many of its shooting modes, 4K60FPS is line skipped, and most of the shooting modes are disabled if you do not buy yet another expensive Canon battery. 

Here are better overheating test results that aren't just 8K raw.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

As somebody that shoot mostly in 8k RAW with R5 (now replaced with the R5 II) and R5c I do strongly disagree with the above sentence. 

Could you give us your impression for the new camera coming from the R5?

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

As somebody that shoot mostly in 8k RAW with R5 (now replaced with the R5 II) and R5c I do strongly disagree with the above sentence. 

Gimmick in this context means it's mainly for publicity and marketing; yes, it's usable in the R5 and R5II, but I would estimate it's a capability used by less than 0.5% of the buyers of the product and it comes with many limitations (battery type, storage limits, overheating, lack of redundancy, etc.) that a cinema camera with the same capability would not have.

So, from an overheating standpoint, what the majority of the population wants to see is how it performs in more mainstream modes like 4K Fine, 4K SRAW, 4K HEVC, etc. IMO 8K in any current mirrorless hybrid isn't much more than a marketing gimmick at this point, a somewhat useable one yes..but a gimmick nonetheless.

4 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Gimmick in this context means it's mainly for publicity and marketing; yes, it's usable in the R5 and R5II, but I would estimate it's a capability used by less than 0.5% of the buyers of the product and it comes with many limitations (battery type, storage limits, overheating, lack of redundancy, etc.) that a cinema camera with the same capability would not have.

Yeah that is your opinion, I also shoot occasional 8k for virtual production or those showing on big LED 

And 8K is needed for VR applications, those 6k 360 cam is not really sharp for Vision Pro..

Raw on the other hand I rarely use it so it must be gimmick 😉 

8 hours ago, herein2020 said:

many limitations (battery type, storage limits, overheating, lack of redundancy, etc.) that a cinema camera with the same capability would not have.

It's true - any proper cinema camera would have redundant storage.  That's why neither Red nor Arri make proper cinema cameras.  🤣