Canon New Product Launch - 17th July 2024

BTM_Pix

4 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah that is your opinion, I also shoot occasional 8k for virtual production or those showing on big LED 

And 8K is needed for VR applications, those 6k 360 cam is not really sharp for Vision Pro..

Raw on the other hand I rarely use it so it must be gimmick 😉 

You are missing my point as well but its ok, not everyone needs to get it but I will restate it anyway; 8K in the R5 is heavily marketed and advertised by Canon but it comes with a long list of fine print on its many limitations (battery, redundancy, overheating, etc.), when you heavily advertise and market a camera feature that almost no one buying the camera cares about or uses then its a gimmicky feature in my book.

Just because its useable, you use it, a few other people use it, or there is a use case for it doesn't make it any less of a niche feature. It's when a vendor heavily markets it as if it is the main feature users care about and then on top of that it comes with a long list of limitations that the other features of the camera are not subjected to, that's when it's a gimmick in my book.

Of course it helps sell the camera, and vendors do it with plenty of products, but to me it's still just a marketing gimmick to sell more cameras, it won't change the fact that most R5/R5II owners won't actually use it.

And of course all 4 R5/II 8K users are going to be members of EOSHD 🤣

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

8K in the R5 is heavily marketed and advertised by Canon but it comes with a long list of fine print on its many limitations (battery, redundancy, overheating, etc.)

To elaborate on my previous post because you keep saying this nonsense:

Professional cinema cameras including those from Red and Arri do not have redundant media.  They are not gimmicky.  They are professional tools.
R5 overheating?  It's a good thing to keep in mind if your use case is recording for hours at a time.  I have used my R5 in 8K raw mode on multiple short films.  They never showed any sign of overheating.  This style of shooting has the camera rolling less than 1/3 of the time.  It cools enough between takes and while resetting for the next scene/angle.
Battery?  Yes.  You need to get LP-E6N and you can't use your old E6 batteries in the most demanding modes.  No idea why you'd call this gimmicky.  Was it a gimmick when Sony moved to Z100 batteries for their mirrorless cameras and abandoned the old ones which had less capacity?  Canon seems to be trying to be consumer-friendly and say that if you just want to take photos or shoot in a lower resolution, you can just keep using your older batteries with less output and less capacity.  Seems less like a gimmick and more like a kind of nice feature.

Any other hot takes about the R5?

I don’t think it’s gimmicky, wrong term applied in this instance, but will most consumers make the most of any product?

Maybe, maybe not, but without these things being added to mainstream bits of kit, those of us who are working pros at the lower levels, can have access that might not otherwise be possible.

I’m all for the latest tech being added because whilst I might not use all of it, there is usually something lower down that I will.

Also, of specific interest to me re. 8k, is that far superior ability to pull stills over 6k footage which is superior to 4k footage which is to 1080 etc…

Still have not had the opportunity to properly explore that though made some tweaks to the settings on my last job to have a go from 6k footage.

So tech is not always ‘tech for tech sake’, some of us, pro and non-pro, will at least explore if not fully utilise the capability.

And then there is raw. Do I need raw? Nope.

Are my cameras raw capable? Yep.

Am I going to utilise that? Possibly/probably not, but I like the fact the option exists should I wish to without having to resort to changing my cameras to do so.

3 hours ago, Davide DB said:

What is exactly this SRAW and is it better than h265?

RAW is normally a 1:1 pixel read out, so in case of R5 / R5c / R5 II is a 17:9 1:1 pixel read out making it 8k DCI no crop.
SRAW in R5 II is 4k DCI but still no crop so it does some line skipping or similar. 

RAW and SRAW are 12 bits, with no processing so you can change completely the WB, Log profile, Gamut, Sharpness, Noise reduction etc. 

H265 is either 8 or 10 bits and it either Log or fully processed. So in theory you can post process RAW and SRAW much more than 10bit Log.

Now R5 II has h265 4k 24-30 oversampled from 8k where 4k SRAW it does not seem oversampled.... so with h265 you in theory get more details with SRAW more room for post processing without the size cost of 8K RAW.

I stand corrected, contrary to what people were saying SRAW seems very good, on pair to 4k Fine (oversampled) and much better than 4k 50p (line skipped), so it is not line skipped but what it is?
The guy could record > 2h continuously in SRAW....

Also, 2k 200fps seems better that what I was expecting. 100fps no improvements 😞

PS: my R5II did arrive yesterday, I will test out in the next few days and share my first impressions