CinePrint 35

Tim Sewell

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I was bored so I put together some A6600 S-Log-3 footage I had hanging around from earlier this year and graded it with the help of Tom Bolles's new CinePrint 35 powergrade. I'm definitely liking the colours and he's simplified the node tree somewhat, making it a lot easier to tweak.

Cool edit - nice work!

The grade is strong but doesn't break or have odd issues, which I see relatively regularly with these types of looks.  The skin-tones also seemed really integrated but not over-done.

What lenses did you use?

11 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Thanks. Lens was just the Sony 18-105 f4. I wasn't expecting to shoot any video that day, but the fog made it mandatory to do so!

Nice.  The flexibility of a zoom for getting lots of interesting shots in a single location really is hard to beat - no other variable seems to make nearly as much difference.

8 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

This is the Kodak Vision3 500T variant, by the way.

I'd assume it's the Kodak 500T and 2383 combination?

This grade is quite accentuated.  Do you / would you use the power grade on other work and give it a lighter touch?

I recently came upon the 2014 Valvula Films Demo shared on CML which compares Arri Alexa XT, Sony F65 and Red Epic-X MX with real film scans (Vision3 200T 5213 and Vision3 250D 5207), and not only do they share the stills, but also a high-quality video file of the scenes with matching grade (1080p ~40Mbps) so you can see the motion and texture of the image.

After watching all the YT film emulations which seem to only emulate 35mm from 1957 / 16mm from 1972 / 8mm film from 1986, I was surprised at how good the quality was.  It's still unmistakably film, but it's waaaaaay better than you'd think.