Canon EOS R1 screen size and what should be done about it

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

EOS-R1-articulated-screen-larger.jpg

There is a chance to go past 3" screens on the larger mirrorless cameras.

All they need to do is reposition the joystick and get rid of the large jog wheel.

Then the buttons below the screen can be screen icons as touch screens work better 5" rather than 3.

When the screen is flipped out, it won't be any heavier as we'd use an OLED panel and titanium frame.

At any rate it would definitely still be much lighter than a smartphone as it is just the panel, no internals like battery.

So it shouldn't unbalance the camera when in use, and I'd prefer it to flip out rather than twizzle out anyway.

Why haven't we gone past 3" do you think? Lack of demand, cost, or something else?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Black Magic just called and asks that you hold their beer.

But aside from them, yes, something of very high importance to me as someone that does not want to and cannot rig out a camera, ie, principally add an additional monitor.

Not just the size, but the resolution and as someone who works solely off the rear LCD, anything under 2000 wotsits is a bit weak for me.

So I for one would welcome 5” rear LCD’s with articulation a la Z9/S1H/A7RV and at the expense of rear dials etc in favour of touch functions.

In fact, I’d say it could be the next big step in future camera design which is still very traditional.

That and modularity which is not exploited enough.

Begin with a box and then add stuff stuff as multiple choices of grips and screens as a start.

The integrated-grip pro bodies are aimed mostly at working photographers, right? Shooting sports, news, etc. Fast-paced stuff, where to get the shots they're paid for, they need to have a broad array of controls available through a bunch of buttons/wheels/joysticks, that they can build muscle memory for so they can access them near-instantly. You can't build muscle memory for a smooth touchscreen that you can't see when using the viewfinder.

• Administrators

They could also use a much slimmer bezel on an OLED display, like the Xperia 1 series phones, with square edges, which would eliminate the massive chin on the current camera LCDs.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:03 PM, Andrew Reid said:

They could also use a much slimmer bezel on an OLED display, like the Xperia 1 series phones, with square edges, which would eliminate the massive chin on the current camera LCDs.

Was going to say this. The bezels on these camera displays are huge. They could go up to 4" just by reducing those.