Is Panasonic rethinking high-end full frame mirrorless line-up?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/16/2024 at 12:55 PM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

In my view was a mistake to drop APS-C L Mount.

Only Leica was making them.

On 10/16/2024 at 12:55 PM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

If they make a APC-S GM5, with the Sony 26mp sensor, IBIS, a decent EVF, with PDAF and their LUT system, I would switch form Fuji ASAP. With a Sigma 18-50 would be a winner.

They can't do that, not unless they plan to totally kill their entire MFT line up. 

You can't have only one stop difference between two different mounts that you are supporting. 

They need to be two+ stops apart, such as Nikon F Mount vs Nikon CX Mount, or Fujifilm X Mount vs Fujifilm G Mount.

Otherwise if you have camera line ups that are only one stop apart in size then they must be sharing the same mount, such as is the case with Nikon F / Canon EF / Sony E / Nikon Z / Canon RF (note how the EOS-M series is getting killed off, not even Canon can support both of them at once when they're only one stop apart). 

On 10/16/2024 at 4:08 PM, newfoundmass said:

It'd be the death nail for M43 so it wouldn't make sense in that regard.

It's kind of a bummer that they didn't make the M43 lens mount larger when introducing it. I imagine they never thought they'd go full frame, but it'd have been really nice.

I wonder if in an hypothetical world if Panasonic had never released a L Series of cameras, but had stayed focused on their MFT cameras. 

But instead had released APS-C / S35 versions of their cameras, so that they could very clearly compete head to head with Fujfilm (plus the Nikon Z / Canon RF / Sony E mount APS-C cameras). 

Would mean a much stronger range of MFT cameras, maybe Panasonic (and Olympus) would be doing better today. 

On 10/16/2024 at 5:11 PM, newfoundmass said:

Ideally it'd have better image quality than that, haha. But if they need to sacrifice build quality and some optical quality to hit a certain price point then there aren't a ton of reasons not to. 

The keen fanatics might not be happy with the $159 50mm f2 lens, but most people would be fine with it. 

The original classic Nikon nifty fifty was from 1986:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018af.htm 

Most people would be perfectly happy with its image quality in their cheapie lens. 

Or this lens from the 1970's: https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f14-s.htm Also a solid choice optically!

On 10/16/2024 at 5:23 PM, KnightsFan said:

Last week I tested my nikon ai 50mm from the 70s against a modern Irix 45mm, which is not a particularly cheap lens. At f1.4, the irix is clearly sharper and optically better in every way. But by f4 the only difference is that the irix is warmer, no appreciable difference in sharpness, CA, distortion, etc.

A decently made nifty fifty from the 80s can be pretty damn good, if it doesn't need to be super fast!

Exactly. (and the 50mm f1.8 from the 1980's is even reportedly a fair bit better optically than the lens you were testing)