Who here loves Pancakes?

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah I bought the Canon 28mm cause I really miss the 20mm and 14mm pancake back in the day with m43, 22mm with M50/M6ii, 24mm with 200D and surprisingly there is no AF pancake for Sony FF system.

R8 with 28mm is slightly more depth than my X100Vi Limited. 

20240713_175800.jpg

Very true... : ) I have found those APS-C format 16mm & 20mm f/2.8 pancake native lenses both interesting options to also take advantage on Clear Image Zoom/crop modes on Sony FF side too, though.

People are used to criticize the optical performance in the corners but character and form factor are no less priceless aspects to consider especially when handling motion.

On 8/4/2024 at 1:09 PM, Ty Harper said:

Love the EF 40mm f2.8 pancake. It lives on my R5C for basic run n gun and gimbal stuff.IMG_5025.thumb.jpeg.3538390ca12294369ee8f7fd75ae3a88.jpeg

I am considering this for a C70 gimbal build, though I might consider the R5C. Micro HDMI is terrible though. For the C70 a 28mm might make more sense though. 

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

I am considering this for a C70 gimbal build, though I might consider the R5C. Micro HDMI is terrible though. For the C70 a 28mm might make more sense though. 

Yes the micro-hdmi port on the R5C is horrible. When I need to use a monitor I use either the Smallrig or Canon OEM port protector in tandem with the Smallrig's micro to full hdmi adapter. Aa far as pancake lens options, yes, the 24mm EF-S f2.8 would be your other option, or the 40mm pancake in tandem with Canon's 0.71x speedbooster which I use with the R5C in its s35 mode and is such a great piece of kit to have, and I imagine would be an even greater accessory for the C70 if you don't have it already. 

There are some good M-mount ones, which can be easily adapted to other mounts. I have the MS Optics Apoqualia 28/2, which is not much bigger than a lens cap and is small even with an adapter. On full-frame it vignettes wide open and shows strong field curvature effects, but those are fun and I enjoy shooting it that way. It's a wonderful lens on APS-C, and the tiny focusing stick is actually quite useful. Good luck finding ND filters for it, though, which is why I haven't used it for video. Brightin Star make a very similar and better corrected 28mm pancake lens for M mount. The Voigtländer 35/2.5 Color-Skopar pancake lens for M-mount is another good lens. These M-mount pancakes don't perform well on Sony and other non-Leica fullframe digital cameras due to field curvature issues with the thick sensor stack, but APS-C solves most of those issues.

I have an album of photos I've shot with the Apoqualia here, on fullframe and APS-C.

MS Optics Apoqualia 28/2