Cupboards clearout (DVX100, DX1, old camcorders topic)

Tim Sewell

It seems I was wrong and Inland Empire was not shot with a DVX100 but with a PD150. @Al Dolega   I've been thinking about the HPX170 as a valid alternative for the  mysterious and ultra rare DVX100 Andromeda. With 3 CCDs, 720p, 8bit 422, 100mbit to P2 cards, what's not to like. But first I gotta get rid of some of my stuff, cupboards clearout. 🙂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

HVX/HPX and VX1000/2000 are all still very popular in the action-sport community, specifically in skateboarding, for the power zooming and lack of rolling shutter issues. The VX1000 specifically is like a fetish object to skateboard filmers. I very much doubt these cameras would fetch the prices they do without that community seeking them out.

It's a pity they never made a 3CCD camcorder in the DVX/HPX body with true full HD resolution. The Pixel Shift tech on the Hpx170/150 and HVX200 gives an impression of some texture related oddities as far as i can tell from the footage, which is available online. DVX100 Andromeda sports some beautiful 720p on the other hand. Would be so cool if the two masterminds behind it would make the tech transparent, so people could pimp their DVX diy into andromeda prowess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

IMG_2309.JPG

7-ish years BEFORE the DVX100 came the DX1, a little gem from Panasonic in 1996!

The form factor is pretty nifty - it has a director's viewfinder thing going on.

Known as NV-DX1 or EZ1 Digital 6 camera depending on region, this was Panasonic's first prosumer MiniDV camcorder which was I think up against the Sony VX series cameras like the VX1 and later VX1000.

It has a very large articulated viewfinder and being a 3CCD camera, pretty nice colours.

Amazingly the tape mech still seems to work without a hitch.

Picked it up in Berlin yesterday so will be fun to do some shoots to see how it compares to some of the later MiniDV cams.

This is THE legendary DV camera of 90ies Germany imo. It had the nick name "queen of the night", not in English though but in German, of course. To me one of the most attractive and fun camera designs. No progressive mode but 3CCD color magic and beautiful color palette, no fire wire unfortunately. Using a dv player or another camera is a workaround. Congrats to your purchase, Andrew. A friend of mine is still owning one. Some of the footage in this video, mostly leaves and flares were shot with it. I had posted this video before:)

• Administrators

Lovely subject and rustic colours, all cuts together well and is nice and abstract.

Yeah it doesn't have a true 24p or progressive scan sensor mode... But it will always have a use. Another paint brush on the canvas.

And the form factor is very interesting... Why the mirrorless hybrid cameras have not got out of their stuck-in-a-mini-DSLR-all-the-same-shape rut yet I have no idea.

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Cupboards clearout (DVX100, DX1, old camcorders topic)
  • Super Members
19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

IMG_2309.JPG

7-ish years BEFORE the DVX100 came the DX1, a little gem from Panasonic in 1996!

I had the consumer version which was the DX100 (as opposed to the DVX100)

IMG_5940.jpeg.db89fbe8c7142ac88b383de2afd22a9a.jpeg

I think it came out in 98 and it was a real leap forward from the single chip Sony that I’d been using.

I *think* that I gave it to my niece but I wouldn’t rule out finding it lurking at the as yet unexplored area of the storage unit!

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think it came out in 98 and it was a real leap forward from the single chip Sony that I’d been using.

Me too (my first mini-DV camcorder). Got stolen after few years from my house and replaced by the insurance company with a later Panasonic model that I never really liked. Went Sony and Canon next, then final tape based camcorder was an HDV Sony HC3.

On 8/29/2024 at 8:47 AM, Andrew Reid said:

IMG_2309.JPG

Known as NV-DX1 or EZ1 Digital 6 camera depending on region, this was Panasonic's first prosumer MiniDV camcorder which was I think up against the Sony VX series cameras like the VX1 and later VX1000.

Wow! I've never heard of this before and I was around then doing video. I don't know why I haven't. Nice image quality.

• Administrators
On 8/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I *think* that I gave it to my niece but I wouldn’t rule out finding it lurking at the as yet unexplored area of the storage unit!

Funnily enough this EXACT one was sitting staring at me from a Berlin flea market table today for 40 euros.

So of course I couldn't resist and have yet another 90s Mini Dv camera to play with.

Must have been one of the smaller 3 chip cameras of the era? It's nice and compact.

The later one in 2005 I used to have is the Panasonic GS400.

That was the peak of the Panasonic prosumer MiniDV cams for me. Very nice screen and lens on that, and it's 3CCD.

• Administrators

IMG_2644.JPG

Here is the sum total of what I have pulled out the trash in the last few months

Nice to see Panasonic can do a 3.8 inch screen after all on the NV-DS5 in the background which takes same battery as the DX1 and DX100, but is only a one-chip.

The GS400 is / was a very capable beast, on par with the pinnacle of prosumer Mini DV cameras... Sony TRV950e

The DX100 was 40 euros, the rest of them 5 euros or in case of GS400 40 again.

Still have my earliest filmmaking from university in 2005 on tape. Should get round to digitising it soon via firewire.

The world can be a coincidental place sometimes... I am in the process of trying to get old miniDV footage into my computer. My old laptop... circa 2005 has a FireWire port and although it still works, I don't know if it can handle a transfer. My "new" computer is 10 years old, a MB Air, this doesn't have a FireWire port... so I thought I could just use a DVi to USB-A cable... but I assume that's too easy?

Btw, love this discussion. There are so many great camcorders out there. I posted about a cool workaround for HV20 footage... since it has a clean HDMI out and a full HDMI port, you can use a Ninja Star or Ninja 2 and record straight to ProRes with that vintage analog vibe. And since the 24p requires a 3:2 pulldown, I believe the early Ninja recorders did that on the fly?

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, mercer said:

The world can be a coincidental place sometimes

I posted about a cool workaround for HV20 footage

You can use a Ninja Star

Guess which of these two things that I have somewhere in that storage unit ?

Yes, thats right, both of them of course 😉