Cupboards clearout (DVX100, DX1, old camcorders topic)

Tim Sewell

3 hours ago, Clark Nikolai said:

It's better to do the deinterlacing in software rather than hope the TV or projector hardware does a good job of it. Put the interlace material in a progressive HD timeline, deinterlace, then output that.

I agree (and is what I do - I'd never render to interlaced output today, even if all the source material was interlaced).

I was just pointing out that modern GPUs (and TVs) have very good (and fast)

deinterlacers built-in, so using a GPU-based hardware deinterlacer in the editing software if available is a good, easy way of exploiting that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
On 8/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I *think* that I gave it to my niece but I wouldn’t rule out finding it lurking at the as yet unexplored area of the storage unit!

Mystery solved.

I went to my brother’s place to retrieve some outboard gear from my old studio that he had been storing and it turns out that I gave the DX100 to him to give to my niece and he “forgot”. 

So here it is in its full cased glory with charger, battery and docking station.

Let charging commence but I purely to check it powers on etc as I’ll need to go and get all the tapes next week.

IMG_6016.thumb.jpeg.4bfd5520f321aa669a5665c59ef94d5f.jpeg

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, Clark Nikolai said:

MAKE ART!!!

Yeah, I was being a bit presumptuous with the let charging commence thing.

The birth of the new renaissance is currently stalled due to the lack of a figure 8 power cable for the charger.

22 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The birth of the new renaissance is currently stalled due to the lack of a figure 8 power cable for the charger.

Ah, a razor cord. Those should be pretty easy to find though.

But there's likely a chance the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. And it might be NiCad or something too. You might need to use an external battery with it.

Let us know how it goes.

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, Clark Nikolai said:

Ah, a razor cord. Those should be pretty easy to find though.

My elderly MacBook Air took one for the team.

17 minutes ago, Clark Nikolai said:

But there's likely a chance the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. And it might be NiCad or something too. You might need to use an external battery with it.

Its Li-On and fully charged without an issue. 

18 minutes ago, Clark Nikolai said:

Let us know how it goes.

It lives !

My impatience has caused me to order a couple of tapes off Amazon rather than wait to go to the Great Warehouse Of Shame storage place so hopefully they will be here by Wednesday.

I've also ordered an S-Video to HDMI unit to see how it fares being recorded in ProRes on a Hyperdeck.

Poorly, I'm assuming.

36 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've also ordered an S-Video to HDMI unit to see how it fares being recorded in ProRes on a Hyperdeck.

Poorly, I'm assuming.

I've still got a fair amount of firewire-captured footage from mine - it's OK viewed from a distance (it is interlaced SD video, compressed with an early realtime compression codec, after all).

The first part of the video below (in 4:3) was recorded with my DX100 24 years ago, the second part (from 12:32 onwards) was recorded 5 years later with a Sony TRV33 single-chip camcorder in 16:9. Both have been de-interlaced, stabilized and adjusted (as far as I thought was sensible!). The content is niche nostalgia stuff for railway enthusiasts like me...

https://youtu.be/p-u7CGdcXn8

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members
On 9/4/2024 at 8:10 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I will likely be over there in a couple of weeks for more sorting so I’ll dig them out and have a go for you.

The last time I saw the HV20 it had a spinning 35mm adapter on it so that might be interesting to re-visit!

The big challenge might be batteries and/or charger though for it but we’ll see.

Well, I have retrieved it and it is sans Cinevate but more importantly a battery or charger so it will be an eBay job to source them.

I’m also found a “few” other forgotten about camcorders and cameras including this which was released fourteen years ago today apparently.

IMG_6069.thumb.jpeg.1097a8fe41cdeb7d526537d4bfc9f19b.jpeg
I used to use it a lot for doing GV shots around stadiums pre-match, hence it’s battered appearance!

Again, a charger is required to confirm if it is still functional.

As I say, there was quite a few different things in the case that was in.

So if anyone wants a Sigma DP3M (and you should because it’s so good that I have inadvertently bought two) then I’m your man!