Looking for a New Camera Body

Dan Wake

After many years of using my Canon 7D, I’m considering upgrading to a new camera body. I’m looking for at least an APS-C sensor, but I’m open to full-frame options as well. My budget is around €600, though I can stretch it a bit if necessary. The most important feature for me is clean ISO performance for night photography. If I can’t find a camera that meets this requirement, I might as well stick with my Canon 7D.

My lens collection is quite small, so I’m open to building a new set of lenses if needed. If you think my budget is too low, please let me know, and I can consider increasing it. Any suggestions for a good used camera that fits these criteria? Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What is truly most important to you? Filmmaking? I'm guessing that matters to you?? You said night photography, but you're posting in EOSHD?

As if video performance is irrelevant to you (or of minor importance), but if night photography is  your number 1 priority, then go for a secondhand Nikon D750? And put the rest into nice AF-D / G lenses. (also, dpreview forums or similar might be a better post for this than here?)

D750 can still do quite nice video too, would be a big improvement over your 7D: 

https://www.eoshd.com/review/nikon-d750-review-initial-thoughts-real-world-footage-ladies-gentleman-contender/

But if video is the #1 priority for you, then I probably would look elsewhere. But with your very tight budget it's tricky to know what to do. 

Maybe you could get lucky and find an a7Smk2 within your budget? As an a7Smk1 without an external recorder doesn't seem like it's truly worth it vs a solid Nikon D750. 

Fujifilm X-H1 or X-T3 would also likely be outside your budget. 

Am afraid a Nikon Z6 mk1 would also be outside your budget. 

Panasonic GH5S perhaps?? (the GH5S version, not the GH5. Although even the GH5mk2 itself manages a better low light ISO score on dxomark than the Canon 7D:  https://cdn.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-7D-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DC-GH5-II___619_1366 ) 

6 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

After many years of using my Canon 7D, I’m considering upgrading to a new camera body. I’m looking for at least an APS-C sensor, but I’m open to full-frame options as well. My budget is around €600, though I can stretch it a bit if necessary. The most important feature for me is clean ISO performance for night photography. If I can’t find a camera that meets this requirement, I might as well stick with my Canon 7D.

My lens collection is quite small, so I’m open to building a new set of lenses if needed. If you think my budget is too low, please let me know, and I can consider increasing it. Any suggestions for a good used camera that fits these criteria? Thanks in advance!

I also think it would be hard to beat the D750 for anything photography at $600 budget. The used market is absolutely flooded with that body with all the wedding/wannabe wedding photographers moving to mirrorless. Granted, I'm not 100% sure you'll be able to sell it; so, the "cost" comes with a heavy caveat.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Granted, I'm not 100% sure you'll be able to sell it; so, the "cost" comes with a heavy caveat.

There will always be buyers for a Nikon D750? Why is selling it an issue?? 

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

I also think it would be hard to beat the D750 for anything photography at $600 budget. The used market is absolutely flooded with that body with all the wedding/wannabe wedding photographers moving to mirrorless.

D800 can be found for similar prices (or even cheaper??? Seriously!) to the D750, so that's another one to consider. If you're also into landscape or architectural photography. Or similar slow paced but high resolution photography. 

Otherwise I'd prefer the feature set of the D750. 

Also the Nikon D600 is worth a look, which is even cheaper. (yet still has a great sensor itself: https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D750-versus-Nikon-D600___975_834 )

But when the D750 itself is only a hundred (maybe two hundred) bucks more, I'm not sure it's worth saving the pennies over. 

3 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

If you want to move to mirrorless, I'd go with the best used Fuji X series body that you can afford.  Maybe an X-Pro 1 or similar.

I shot weddings for 2 seasons on the X Pro1 having ditched my chunky boy Nikon D3S’s to do so.

Very ‘film-like’ files from the second most ‘organic’ sensors after the OG X100.

Plenty of fast f1.4 lenses to choose from.

The X Pro2 is faster and arguably a better camera, but the files didn’t have quite the same magic…though again, became my workhorse units for another 2 seasons.

If you are more ‘artistic’ orientated, the X  Pro1 would be a good shout!

I like the Panasonic S5, which I found used for about $800 (€717). If you keep an eye on used markets, you might get pretty close to your budget. Low light video was one of my considerations and I'm very happy with it. It will be easy to keep any existing EF lenses, too.

I won't pretend to have used enough cameras to say its the best option, but if you'd like some night photos in Raw or Jpg so you can judge for yourself, I'm happy to grab some.

• Super Members

If you’re wanting to stay with Canon then a used version of the largely forgotten EOS RP can be had for that budget.

If you look at the DPReview studio comparison tool then you will see how much more high ISO performance you will get over the 7D but also it stands up well against more recent and expensive Canon full frame bodies.

You don't specify wanting to use it for video but the quite wild crop of the EOS R and RP in 4K mode can easily be worked around with your legacy lenses by using a speed boosted version of an EF to RF adapter which are available from around £60 for the 7Artisans version.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you’re wanting to stay with Canon then a used version of the largely forgotten EOS RP can be had for that budget.

I wonder how many if any of OP's lenses are compatible with the EOS RP though, as they've currently got a RP. 

Was assuming not many, if any, plus they said "My lens collection is quite small, so I’m open to building a new set of lenses if needed."

If you look at the DPReview studio comparison tool then you will see how much more high ISO performance you will get over the 7D but also it stands up well against more recent and expensive Canon full frame bodies.

It's a decent sensor, but one that falls short against the main competition:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D750-versus-Nikon-Z6-versus-Canon-EOS-RP___975_1269_1302 

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder how many if any of OP's lenses are compatible with the EOS RP though, as they've currently got a RP. 

Was assuming not many, if any, plus they said "My lens collection is quite small, so I’m open to building a new set of lenses if needed."

He says in the opening post he has a 7D so that would mean EF which are compatible.

I mean, that doesn't preclude him having an RP that he is keeping quiet about.

16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It's a decent sensor, but one that falls short against the main competition:

He was looking for an improvement on his 7D which the RP most certainly is and in the real world examples on DPReview's studio scene it looked to my eyes that in the key area of ISO that he was after it wasn't completely shamed noise wise against newer Canon bodies.

Although if he has the hidden RP then he can expect it to be exactly the same as that one.

Now you mention the Z6 though, thats not a bad option as the original is now in that price range and there are numerous adapters to mount the EF lenses from his 7D on.

Though none as yet for the RF lenses that he may have for the RP that he may have.

• Super Members

Anyway, I'm following my own guideline and dipping out of contributing to this thread as the OP has already asked exactly the same question in another thread he started and despite two pages of earnest advice he hasn't bothered his arse to even acknowledge the contributions.

After two fucking years.

He says in the opening post he has a 7D so that would mean EF which are compatible.

Yes I know, but what I meant is that the 7D is an APS-C camera, so it's possible none of OP's lenses would cover the EOS RP sensor. 

Though none as yet for the RF lenses that he may have for the RP that he may have.

😂

Anyway, I'm following my own guideline and dipping out of contributing to this thread as the OP has already asked exactly the same question in another thread he started and despite two pages of earnest advice he hasn't bothered his arse to even acknowledge the contributions.

This thread? At least OP wrote a bunch of comments later on in this thread, not just the first post. Which is more than what a lot of drive by posters do when they start new threads! 😕 

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes I know, but what I meant is that the 7D is an APS-C camera, so it's possible none of OP's lenses would cover the EOS RP sensor.

Ah, I was thrown by you saying in your reply that he had an RP. 

Guessing a typo then and you meant 7D.

Anyway, fair point if he only has EF-S lenses.

16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

This thread?

No this one .

Ah, I was thrown by you saying in your reply that he had an RP. 

Guessing a typo then and you meant 7D.

oh for goodness sake, that was a hell of a brain fart by me! Yes, of course, I meant to type 7D

No this one .

oh wow, two plus years later and still no upgrade 😂 

$600 Euros + upgrade from 7D -> Anything... even entry level stuff... just saying... unless you were using ML religiously, trust me... anything. Shit, the only thing you will be giving up is the weather proofing and the tank like build of the 7D.

If you want to keep it in the Canon family - even a R100 would beat the 7D in the image department (SOOC; no ML).
If you want to venture out of Canon - Fuji... these are beautiful little cameras... even going Entry level here - go X-T30 II.... can't go wrong.
If you want to go full frame - Sony a7 iii - on the Used market (may need to stretch the budget a little here).

If you want to go full frame on Canon - I'm sure you can find an R8 on the used market too (may need to stretch the budget a little here too).

Good luck.

8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I tried, but mention of the Fuji triggered me into responding as did the mention of the S5.

Plus I sometimes have too much time so 🤷‍♂️