cDNG Raw Video on iPhone 15 Pro is finally possible!

Alpicat

Swiss Rig launched an app today called sr RAW which unlocks 14-bit cDNG raw video recording on the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max. Has anyone tried this? I went out earlier today and shot a video (featuring my music :) as soon as I heard about it, here it is below. I had switched from Android to Apple a while back and was kind of missing the Motioncam app on Android which also allows raw video recording, so seeing this app today was great news! Even if it's more convenient than motioncam as it records cDNG directly (no transcoding required), this app is still very much in its infancy. It's really limited at the moment. It can only record up to 1080p and can only do that if you pay a subscription 😞 . Also this being cDNG raw means that it records footage cropped 2x, so everything is zoomed in - kind of reminds me of the earlier days with Magic Lantern on the Canon EOS M where you could only get reasonable results using the crop modes. 

For now you can't control the shutter angle and autofocus doesn't seem to work whilst recording so that's not great. FPS is limited to 24 or 25 only. Can't select ISO although don't know if that's necessary anyway as it's raw video. 

So whilst I think I've gotten some fairly nice results with it so far (though it does look a bit mushy and my grading probably isn't great), I'd say it doesn't make much sense using this for now, given how good the Blackmagic camera app is, but will be interesting to see where this goes especially if they can unlock 4k recording. 

Here's the website for the app: https://swissrig.com/sr-raw

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs