1080 > 4k

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

We shoot 4k for flexibility in post, and if u want to make portrait video for social from the same footage then the 1080p will be too low res for that.

you mean after cropping for vertical viewing? 

from my experience, high quality 1080p cams can have comparable results to 4k cams, even on a 27 inch 4k monitor with a viewing distance of one foot. these high quality 1080p cams actually have a 4k sensor, like c300 og, c100 og and mk2, af100, etc. fs7 does not override them easily, except that 4k sign can please some clients. oversampled 4k from 6k or 8k cams may be better on a 4k monitor, but not easily to see the difference on a 4k tv with a viewing distance of 5 meters. 

in addition, for portrait, 1080p is enough, unless the actress is a teenage girl with perfect skin. otherwise, the actress needs very thick makeup to cover her imperfections. in wedding, if you shoot the bride with a 12k bm Ursa, showing her wrinkles and speckles, her sisters' weddings will belong to other dps for sure. 

Yeah, 1080p cropped for vertical is like 600*1080.. even less than 720p resolution.

With 4k you can do fake dolly or slider in post or punch in for close up, much more to play with and give you abit of headroom for errors.

Does people even shoot only 2MP photo nowadays?

26 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah, 1080p cropped for vertical is like 600*1080.. even less than 720p resolution.

With 4k you can do fake dolly or slider in post or punch in for close up, much more to play with and give you abit of headroom for errors.

Does people even shoot only 2MP photo nowadays?

depends on what kind of 2mp. I have several nikon d1h bodies. I have no issue using them, as long as no cropping in post. if don't present in full screen, like embedded photos in web news article, it is perfectly fine. 

vertical video is almost exclusively for phones, not even for iPad. on phones, YouTube default res is 480p, every time I change to 4k, I have to click three buttons into the submenu. 

I understand the importance of more res for post. when I stabilize my varicam 27's footage in resolve, I see significant loss in res, if it is a wide shot. if it is a closeup, it is ok. I have no objection of digital zoom, etc, but they don't totally justify the essentiality of high res 4k and above. 

the best digital dolly is magic lantern. in crop mode, you can digital pan or tilt. 

theoretically, imho, acquire data in 8k or 12k and reframe in post and output to 4k, may not be as good as do everything in front of camera. 

assuming using the same sensor size, either s35 or ff, if it is a 8k sensor, then pixel size is smaller than that of a 4k sensor. there are many consequences due to the smaller pixel size. one of them is well known, the low light performance will be impaired. in order to keep the same level of low light performance, the color array layer needs to be thinner, then the color is impaired. adding more color saturation and hue helps a little, but not as natural, not as thick. so finally 8k cameras present a modern look, exotic high res, not so natural color palette. if doing zoom in, 8k now is 4k, the resolution is not advantageous, but the color is also worse. 

maybe in reality, the difference is not so significant.

I think it is more suitable for 8k or 12 k sensor to be 645 or even 67, then everything is fine, except with the penalty of being heavier and larger. 

On 8/25/2024 at 10:57 AM, SRV1981 said:

watching on a 4k projector at 100”. No need for 4k unless green screen or VFX

this is a human face close up shot. 4k and above do not have much advantage over 1080p here. If it is for green screen, not only 4k is important, raw or 4444 are important too. few cameras can do green screen well, at least 10 bit sr444 or prores444, better to have 12 bit raw. 

8k or 12k 10 bit 422 or 8 bit 420 cams are good for landscape wide angle shots. 

I’m happy with 6k.

6k for me is the sweet spot for cropping in post or stability cropping in camera and then outputting as either 4k or 1080.

S5ii 6k is nicer to my eye than the 4k despite being 420 and not 422 and can be ‘degraded’ to be more ‘cinemantic’.

Great for also cropping 9x16 for social media from 3:2 Open Gate.

6 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I’m happy with 6k.

6k for me is the sweet spot for cropping in post or stability cropping in camera and then outputting as either 4k or 1080.

S5ii 6k is nicer to my eye than the 4k despite being 420 and not 422 and can be ‘degraded’ to be more ‘cinemantic’.

Great for also cropping 9x16 for social media from 3:2 Open Gate.

Yup, I think 6k is perfect for 2024. All the flexibility in post you need and the ability to downscale for a really clean and good looking image delivered in 4k. Also future proofing important things for the future is a real thing. I’m working on a doc project t right now that started out on two 5D markii’s back in 2012. All of that footage is pretty soft compared to later interviews shot in 4k on the GH5s. Really wish some of those interviews had waited for 4k to become the norm. Back then a lot of people made fun of me for wanting to upgrade to 4k because it was “overkill” and the 1080p looked just fine. 

1 hour ago, Ninpo33 said:

Yup, I think 6k is perfect for 2024. All the flexibility in post you need and the ability to downscale for a really clean and good looking image delivered in 4k. Also future proofing important things for the future is a real thing. I’m working on a doc project t right now that started out on two 5D markii’s back in 2012. All of that footage is pretty soft compared to later interviews shot in 4k on the GH5s. Really wish some of those interviews had waited for 4k to become the norm. Back then a lot of people made fun of me for wanting to upgrade to 4k because it was “overkill” and the 1080p looked just fine. 

did you use magic lantern raw or just 5d2's stock codec? canon dslrs' internal codec is nothing unless using ml raw. 

your example here is not a good one. see how c300 og c100 mk 2 comparing to fs7. not much by my eyes. 

3 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

Also future proofing important things for the future is a real thing

I’m not too bothered about that as everything I produce (wedding videos mainly) are for the rest of their lives and one argument might be to shoot in 8k just so that one day…but nah, not unless they wished to pay a massive premium…which gives me an idea…

Option for client to have a ‘free’ upgrade from 4k to 6k (as I am already shooting in 6k, not that they know it) but offer a paid option to shoot and deliver in 8k to ‘future proof’ their memories.

It would have to be a fairly hefty premium because for me that would mean a whole new 8k system of 3 bodies plus lenses, plus massively increased storage etc…

Could also be an option for stills if they wished to print a 3x life size version of themselves on the side of their house and a legit excuse for me to buy a Hassie X2D 🤔

1 hour ago, Tim Sewell said:

Happy Days Are Here Again!

It is a legit excuse isn’t it Tim?

I’m trying to build a business case to shell out 20k+ on a body and 3 lenses…