Canon R5 Mark II - Firmware Problems

herein2020

I did quite a bit of testing this weekend and the 4K30FPS SRAW Lite is a disappointment. I was considering using that codec for non-event projects, but from my testing it introduces strong moiré and a magenta shift. In Davinci Resolve I was not able to remove the moiré via denoising. Neither the compressed 4K30 or 4K60 had this color shift or moiré.

Below is an example, same settings for all 3 except the codec. This was not any kind of official test, just me walking around filming hand holding the RF70-200mm F2.8 in CLOG2.  The moiré is very strong on the banner to the right of the image as the camera moves, and it is much more visible in the source footage before YT adds its compression.

I was pleasantly surprised at the 4K60FPS line skipped quality, with a little post sharpening it looks identical or slightly sharper than 4K Fine so it is definitely useable to me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In the last two weeks I did film two horse show jumping events including the international one with most of the top riders in the world.
I also covered a track and field event with some Olympics athletes in not great lighting, I was there for photos, but I did play a bit on the B competition with some slow motion.

The good:

Battery life is quite ok (no grip), much better than R5c and it does not burn battery while not recording, I could keep my camera on while not filming. As I film a lot in 8k 50 RAW is a liberation to not need a cage + external battery + cables.... my only big complain about the R5c.

I find it a bit easier to expose with Clog2 than 3, I get less noisy shadow and better highlight, it seems to have a bit better DR. I was filming with both R5c and R5 II at the same time and the R5 II seems to show a tad better DR. Is not world changing but is noticeable.

AF is imo a big step forward for action/sports compared to R5c and R5. The fact that you can draw the area where you want to find faces and the way it tracks head looking forward, backwards and with helmets is quite amazing. It has the same feature and behavior in all modes/frame rates. 

C1-C3 presets super useful, I'm missing this so much on the R5c. Super quick to change from 8k RAW 50, 4k 10bit 100fps and 2k 10bit 200fps and back.

2k 200/240 in CLog2 with full AF is insane, nothing available that I'm aware close at this price.... quality is ok but more than usable imo. If you use a high shutter speed, you can easily use Resolve Motion Estimation to interpolate to 480fps. My athletes were super impressed by the image that they got.

Did not have any overheating issue but horse show jumping is always 1-2 min recording and 1-2 min waiting, and I don't film all the athletes but only the ones from the 3 teams that I cover so is not really a taxing scenario.

Is fully compatible with RS3Pro and Raveneye, I can start stop and change settings via the DJI Ronin app. R5c is partially compatible, I can start stop but cannot change settings. 

It has a tad faster RS at 8k 50 and is noticeable on panning that there is a bit less leaning of the obstacle's posts.

The bad:

Waveform cannot be resized, and you cannot assign a button for turning it on or off, even more funny is that you cannot add the menu item to mymenu... seems a last-minute addition that is unfinished. At least it does the job but once I have set the exposure it annoys me as I want to focus on tracking well the athlete.

I had two lookups 😞 while starting to film at 200fps, it did not happen (yet) in any other mode, I had to pull the battery. Funny enough I had also a lookup with the R5c while stopping a recording, fortunately I did not lose the file. Bad day? The two at 200fps seems too much but let see.

Not a big issue but the formats menu is a mess imo. Too many choices easy to mess it up. I prepare beofre the event my C1-C3 and never touch that messy menu.

Some slow motion examples, again tons of aliasing and a bit soft but what else give you good DR, full AF, at this fps in an affordable price?

No1 in the world at 240fps and interpolated at 480fps (sorry I left the audio track in 😞

Detail at 400fps interpolated (sorry I left the audio track in 😞

Track and Field 200fps

It can also take picture, at 30fps you can get a bit better timing, and it has better RS but not sure is worthed over the R5 for photo only:

RON23865.thumb.jpg.251435be9db3133d1c2cb0d610e55f5a.jpg

RON23897.thumb.jpg.f719d217ae44f6f76cb4a3627a305827.jpg

RON23454.thumb.jpg.ed0780edaab7f41f0f55cd820054810c.jpg