RED cuts prices of Komodo and Komodo-X by up to 30%

eatstoomuchjam

Only if they intend to keep the prices at $5k and $7k for the Z mount version.  If the goal were just to clear out stock, they'd do a big sale, similar to what DJI did with the full frame pocket a month or two ago.  If not, they are radically overestimating the price premium a vast majority of users will pay.

If they're planning a switch to Z mount, I'd guess that they paused nearly every product in development (or every, but if some were already through all the regulatory approvals, they'd be adding substantial delay and cost to recertify) and insisted that it switch to Z mount.

If that's the case, then yeah - maybe the plan is to burn through stock before introducing the newer cameras and announcing EOL for the current ones - but shipping dates would still be months away.

And FWIW, reducing the prices of the cameras is potentially more likely to drive people to the arms of Canon for lenses since it's pushing down more into the consumer/prosumer space and less into the "Which adapter do I need for my PL mount lenses, then?" space.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I honestly think they just want to be more competitively priced against the new Canon C400 and the Sony lineup. 

The RED Komodo appeal outside of VFX work, speciality rig, and crash cam is owner op and the C400 is very apealing for that market given it's price and what it offers. 

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

And FWIW, reducing the prices of the cameras is potentially more likely to drive people to the arms of Canon for lenses

In the short term of course but this is tearing the sticking plaster off to stop it as an ongoing issue.

Though they might well have no intention to make a Z mount version of it and something different is coming.

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Is this not just them clearing the decks before they bring out a Z mount version ?

Can't imagine Nikon being thrilled selling a product that drives customers into the arms of Canon for lenses for it.

I wonder if they ran the numbers and figured it would be too expensive to take existing Komodo inventories, and change them Z mount without redesigning a brand new camera?

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Did Nikon just buy it so a competitor did not, or do they actually have a plan?

I hope the plan is to give Nikon a beachhead in the professional video/cinema camera category.

Nikon has had so many opportunities to jump in, such as if only they'd released an equivalent to the Canon C300mk1 or C100mk1 (even if merely had the guts of a Nikon D5200 inside it, but without any overheating or record limiters, and with full size HDMI + SDI + NDs). 

But after kinda missing the boat on that, I guess buying RED gives them that foothold. 

Next steps (?????):

1) next gen Komodo with a Z Mount

2) a "Sony FX3" (but with Nikon/RED cobranding, with the internal guts of it being the latest Z6)

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Is this not just them clearing the decks before they bring out a Z mount version ?

Can't imagine Nikon being thrilled selling a product that drives customers into the arms of Canon for lenses for it.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're not manufacturing any more, and this is just a price cut to clear inventory. 

8 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

And FWIW, reducing the prices of the cameras is potentially more likely to drive people to the arms of Canon for lenses since it's pushing down more into the consumer/prosumer space and less into the "Which adapter do I need for my PL mount lenses, then?" space.

Well, they still need to sell the cameras they have already built?? They can't just chuck the cameras away into the rubbish bin?? 

RED is a big ship that takes time to turn around, I'd imagine even if Nikon immediately said on Day #1 "no more RF Mount cameras, only make Z Mount cameras" that it will take quite a long-ish timeline for that to happen.

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Though they might well have no intention to make a Z mount version of it and something different is coming.

I'd be shocked if a Z Mount RED never happens, it kills half the value in buying RED in the first place! 

3 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I wonder if they ran the numbers and figured it would be too expensive to take existing Komodo inventories, and change them Z mount without redesigning a brand new camera?

I'd imagine if they were half way to developing a next gen Komodo then there is no reason to divert R&D focus to convert / develop a Z Mount for the (soon to be) "old" tech.

However, if they thought the current Komodo platform still has another five years of life in it, then you'd absolutely put focus ASAP into converting it over to Z Mount. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Well, they still need to sell the cameras they have already built?? They can't just chuck the cameras away into the rubbish bin?? 

Yes.  Obviously.  And?

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

RED is a big ship that takes time to turn around, I'd imagine even if Nikon immediately said on Day #1 "no more RF Mount cameras, only make Z Mount cameras" that it will take quite a long-ish timeline for that to happen.

I said almost exactly that already in the same post that you quoted, but thank you for reaffirming, I guess.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd be shocked if a Z Mount RED never happens, it kills half the value in buying RED in the first place! 

I was referring to the Komodo range specifically rather than any other future new model.

The relationship RED had with Canon for the Komodo extends beyond the lens mount (well, behind it actually) and into the AF system so, again, it would be a way to draw the curtain down on that.

I think Nikon/RED discounted because Nikon will come out with a cinema camera that will fill the Kimono space (something in lines to the C70 / FX3 FX6). I’ve heard Nikon will take those entry camera sales and RED will stick to high end lines. I’m interested to see what a Nikon cinema camera looks like.

Never noticed this before but that Super 8 camera does have the same design elements of the Nikon Z series. The porroprism angle and shape. Nikons were my first proper cameras. The Nikon F was angular, heavy and awesome.

On 9/7/2024 at 5:05 AM, ArashM said:

I think Nikon/RED discounted because Nikon will come out with a cinema camera that will fill the Kimono space (something in lines to the C70 / FX3 FX6). I’ve heard Nikon will take those entry camera sales and RED will stick to high end lines. I’m interested to see what a Nikon cinema camera looks like.

This could be interesting. When do we think Nikon would release something?

On 9/5/2024 at 11:11 AM, Andrew Reid said:

The question is how long this slump is going to last...

Streaming giants are cutting back on new production. Cinemas closing left right and centre across the world. TV is struggling for ad money and social media is taking over casual viewing in the home with GenZ.

Yes, the streaming wars are over and at the moment the market is oversaturated with content.  On the other hand there was always an up and down in the market - lots of people remenissing about " the glorious DVD years" (Indie film hustle podcast). Now is a great time for indie filmmakers to create their low budget projects.

There definitely seem to have lots of komodo for sale lately on my local auction site, one guy list the reason is less cinema and more social video 😂

Red Komodo 6k OG

Great camera, business has moved towards less cinema work and more social work.

And the best cam for social beside phones will be Panasonic with their Opengate mode and M43 is the closest to a square sensor vs 3:2 on APSC/FF

The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in..

All the major camera companies have seen Sony make a damn good mirrorless mount and see it as a cash cow--razor and blades style. That is, the razor is the camera body and the blades are the oversized, overproduced, heavy, overpriced lenses.