Two New L Mount Lenses

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

A busy day at both ends of the pricing spectrum for the L mount alliance.

First up is Leica's 70-200mm f2.8 and accompanying 2x Teleconverter.

leica-announces-70-200mm-f28-and-2x-teleconverter-for-l-mount-ts-1-740x416.png.c38f613f4fef1db5f051c98b5149ea9a.png

As you might expect, this is at the upper end of the price spectrum at $3295.00 for the lens and $995.00 for the TC.

It does have OIS though unlike the next announcement of the day which is the Sigma ART 28-105mm f2.8

07_PPhoto_28_105_28_dgdn_a024_Lmt_horizontal2-740x555.jpeg.46a2aa6afa892df1e62a5dec13bb6c51.jpeg

Price for this is $1499.00 and will do very well but is it quite wide enough and might they have missed an opportunity here as it may have been better lopping off some of the long end and it being a vastly more cost effective not to mention fixed aperture version of Leica's 24-90mm f2.8-4 ?

It still puzzles me why Sigma have dug their heels in about putting OIS on their lenses for a while now when their own cameras would be a huge beneficiary of them.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

announcement of the day which is the Sigma ART 28-105mm f2.8

If only there was a member of this forum who uses L Mount for video and Sony for stills who has been praying for a ‘one & done’ constant aperture f2.8 lens ranging from 28 to about 100mm whilst weighing max 1kg.

If only there was a member of this forum this lens was designed for…

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

A busy day at both ends of the pricing spectrum for the L mount alliance.

First up is Leica's 70-200mm f2.8 and accompanying 2x Teleconverter.

leica-announces-70-200mm-f28-and-2x-teleconverter-for-l-mount-ts-1-740x416.png.c38f613f4fef1db5f051c98b5149ea9a.png

As you might expect, this is at the upper end of the price spectrum at $3295.00 for the lens and $995.00 for the TC.

Honestly not quite as extremely bad as I'd have expected for Leica pricing. 

It does have OIS though unlike the next announcement of the day which is the Sigma ART 28-105mm f2.8

07_PPhoto_28_105_28_dgdn_a024_Lmt_horizontal2-740x555.jpeg.46a2aa6afa892df1e62a5dec13bb6c51.jpeg

Price for this is $1499.00 and will do very well but is it quite wide enough and might they have missed an opportunity here as it may have been better lopping off some of the long end and it being a vastly more cost effective not to mention fixed aperture version of Leica's 24-90mm f2.8-4 ?

It's so much harder to make a lens an extra 1mm wider than an extra 1mm longer. 

They'd probably have needed to make the lens have a lot less reach if they wanted to hit their weight/price/size/quality /speed goals with a 24mm wide end instead. 

It still puzzles me why Sigma have dug their heels in about putting OIS on their lenses for a while now 

Because Sigma is the low cost / high value brand? And I guess (for now) OIS goes against that. 

Probably the moment they can figure out how to offer OIS for merely pennies then every new Sigma lens will have OIS!

• Super Members
57 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Because Sigma is the low cost / high value brand? And I guess (for now) OIS goes against that. 

Probably the moment they can figure out how to offer OIS for merely pennies then every new Sigma lens will have OIS!

Eh?

Sigma had OIS in their lenses years ago and still have it in quite a few now.

Just that few of them would benefit the likely users of their Fp cameras.

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Don't be selfish for Christ's sake! Two. LOL

I probably won’t though for stills for a couple of reasons.

First one is it can’t really replace my current line up of; 20-40, 28-75, 70-180.

It’s a near perfect line up for me with the 28-75 being my all day workhorse, the 70-180 being my ceremony, speeches and couple lens, with the 20-40 being my after dark dance floor lens, so it’s not like I am continually lens swapping all day long, just at a certain points.

Could I swap all 3 for the 28-105? Maybe, but with compromises at both ends plus having a lens which yes, does weigh less than all 3 combined, but individually makes for a relatively heavy unit with the Sony A7RV compounded further because I’d want to swap my baseplate for a battery grip.

I think the system I have is a better one.

For video though, yes. The compact and lightweight 28-70 has been my sole workhorse now for 2 seasons, but with a criticism.

Shooting 4k 50p last year, it was perfectly long enough at 105 equiv but too tight at 42 equiv.

This year shooting 6k 30p, it’s plenty wide enough at 28, but 70 is a bit short for my outdoor needs, which is about 70% of any job.

28-105 constant aperture f2.8 is both of the above use cases solved immediately so this lens is a no-brainer really for next year.

I had the Leica 24-90 last year but too big, too heavy and not constant aperture. It was a great photo lens but less so for video.

The weight of the 28-105 is just within my self-imposed limits and the only thing I do not like is the external zoom, but hey ho.

The next thing I’d like to see is Sigma make a sibling to the 28-45 f1.8. That WOULD change the game for me, for stills at least.

The 28-45 for indoor work paired with something around 50-100 f1.8, also with internal zoom, on a 60+mp sensor body and that’s it, I’m done for the remainder of my career, whether that be on my current A7RV, or on a potential future Lumix S2R.

Ideally, an S2R so it’s all within one single system, but either way I would not be too fussy as both options would be unbelievably good.

On 9/6/2024 at 8:33 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Sigma had OIS in their lenses years ago and still have it in quite a few now.

Just that few of them would benefit the likely users of their Fp cameras.

Because neither of their own bodies have it, possibly a bit of an omission to not have it in the majority of their lenses?

Many of the slightly older now Tamron primes had VC, their nomenclature for ‘OIS’ but fewer lenses these days, prime or zoom, seem to have anything, I presume because of the rise of IBIS?

I was shooting an outdoor mehndi ahead of a Bengali Muslim wedding today and once again, it highlighted the gap in my lens arsenal…

The 28-70 is great indoors. Light, compact, fast enough at 2.8, but outdoors, I don’t want to be in people’s faces, it’s not how I work and the Lumix S 70-200 f4 (underrated sleeper lens IMO, due to being relatively compact, under 1kg, constant aperture and internal zoom) is perfect for the longer stuff…but sometimes…most of the time even, I want to be able to shoot wide’ish and a second later, long’ish.

I am still considering the option of the Samyang 35-150 because with that, I could possibly do away with both the 28-70 and the 70-200 and would have no need for the 28-105.

But it’s big. It’s heavy. It’s not internal zoom.

Well neither are (internal zoom) the 28-70 or the 28-105 and with the former it’s neither here nor there, but less keen on how far the 28-105 appears to extend.

Hmmm…choices, choices, choices, which is actually a good thing to have, but maybe I do need to go for the true ‘one and done’, the 35-150, albeit at the expense of size, weight and external zoom…

The curveball in all of this is not actually not so much the lenses, but whether an S2H and/or an S2R appear because then having an all L Mount lineup of 4 bodies rather than my current 3 Lumix for video and 1 Sony for stills, because my stills unit can then double up for hybrid duty…

Anyway, it’s not a big deal or a ‘need’, just a potential option.

I won’t make any moves until early Spring 2025 so still plenty of time to see what happens in the L Mount camera and lens space.