4K 120fps is now on iPhone...

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

When I saw yesterday that you will now be able do do 4k120p ProRes on a phone, I imagined the shame being felt by any number of camera companies who claim they can't do it on their dedicated cameras.  Not sure yet how long the iPhone can roll 4k120 without overheating, but Canon should be making a face like the meme awkward puppet monkey right about now...

It's increasingly obvious that camera vendors should stop trying to build their own special magic chips (Bionz! Digic!  X-Processor Pro!) and figure out how to adopt current-generation smartphone processors.  Why build a dedicated chip on a 14nm process when you could build your system on a much more powerful chip that was built with 2nm that uses less power and runs so much cooler?

A lot of vendors should feel relief that the companies who have (so far) tried to blend phone and camera have done such a tremendously terrible job of integration.  Eventually somebody's gonna get it right.

In fact that ProRes detail is something... ; )

This year I had to enter in a summer music festival as mere public audience participant instead for last minute ticket/invitation other than media accreditation as usual and guess what?

We had to struggle against the security staff to allow us enter with our camera lenses and hide teles in the middle of wide angle and 50mm primes... Osmo Pocket 3 is a hell of a device to literally come with us any time in our pocket, but I obviously missed that:

The fact we can use something like this for a teleobjective is also huge once forbidden to use them.

So does this mean we show up to a paid shoot with the brand new iPhone 16, some lights, and a fog machine? I suppose it shouldn't matter so much, but I have my doubts about getting called back; you might just get labelled as the person who showed up with a phone.

5 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

It's increasingly obvious that camera vendors should stop trying to build their own special magic chips (Bionz! Digic!  X-Processor Pro!) and figure out how to adopt current-generation smartphone processors.  Why build a dedicated chip on a 14nm process when you could build your system on a much more powerful chip that was built with 2nm that uses less power and runs so much cooler?

Not to mention being able to tap into the engineers who know how to code really, really well. That would a winning scenario IMO.

31 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

So does this mean we show up to a paid shoot with the brand new iPhone 16, some lights, and a fog machine? I suppose it shouldn't matter so much, but I have my doubts about getting called back; you might just get labelled as the person who showed up with a phone.

Not to mention being able to tap into the engineers who know how to code really, really well. That would a winning scenario IMO.

If the quality was good, do you think they’d mind? I’d be curious if you brought your normal mirrorless body to a gig and iPhone log to compare. 

but for non-paid work - iPhone is really starting to look like a good solution! 

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

If the quality was good, do you think they’d mind?

This sort of thing used to come up a lot in the Z Cam user groups.  It's not necessarily that most clients on a paid shoot really mind, but there is sometimes an uphill battle in needing to educate the customer.  If you tell the customer "I'm showing up with a Red" or "I'll be there with my FX6" - or insert any boxy prosumer camera in here, there's no education or discussion needed.  Even though the Netflix approved camera list is truly only relevant to people who are shooting a made-for-Netflix production, it could also be a useful tool - "I'll be showing up at your shoot with this camera which, as you can see, is used to make productions for Netflix."

Even for non-paid cinema work that I do, people get a lot more excited if I show up with the Komodo-X than they do if I show up with the C70 or Z-Cam or GFX 100 II.  There's no need for them to be - every one of those cameras can make a really nice image.

18 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

When I saw yesterday that you will now be able do do 4k120p ProRes on a phone, I imagined the shame being felt by any number of camera companies who claim they can't do it on their dedicated cameras.  Not sure yet how long the iPhone can roll 4k120 without overheating, but Canon should be making a face like the meme awkward puppet monkey right about now...

A lot of vendors should feel relief that the companies who have (so far) tried to blend phone and camera have done such a tremendously terrible job of integration.  Eventually somebody's gonna get it right.

On the overheating I would not be so sure. My iPhone 15 Pro Max overheats like crazy, I cannot let the phone in the sun turned off for 15min (pre event) and then record, while my R5 in 8K Raw has no problem. The phone is mounted on top of the R5 so exactly the same time, position, temperature....

7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

On the overheating I would not be so sure. My iPhone 15 Pro Max overheats like crazy, I cannot let the phone in the sun turned off for 15min (pre event) and then record, while my R5 in 8K Raw has no problem. The phone is mounted on top of the R5 so exactly the same time, position, temperature....

Yes, overheating is exactly my concern, even though with the SSD attached no idea if the issue stands the same way?

Mine overheats in 4k 25 and 50fps 10bit log h265 internal, no attached storage. It is a phone and can do already miracles but quality and usability is still far off a Mirrorless, yet you can use it everywhere and is very convenient. 
Osmo Pocket 3 has imo quite a bit better image quality and dji log can take more post processing.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Mine overheats in 4k 25 and 50fps 10bit log h265 internal, no attached storage. It is a phone and can do already miracles but quality and usability is still far off a Mirrorless, yet you can use it everywhere and is very convenient. 
Osmo Pocket 3 has imo quite a bit better image quality and dji log can take more post processing.

Indeed. The only minus I see on one of my fav devices today is the lack of tele range...

Square pegs for round holes IMO.

Sure these things take increasingly good photo and video and can you get ‘professional’ results from them?

Of course, but should you?

For business use, for me, can’t ever see it, but mainly because of the ergos.

Using a phone without rigging it out, isn’t great and of course for any pro work, whipping out your phone out of your back pocket and holding at arms length? 😭x1000

On holiday or at a festival etc, why not, but beyond that, nah.

9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Indeed. The only minus I see on one of my fav devices today is the lack of tele range...

They should make a pro version with dual lens and aperture control! I used to have a Phantom 4 Pro that had 1inch with aperture control and it was amazing not sure why they dropped aperture. Touch could be a bit better, the need of an adapter for tripod is also not great and they should add a gimbal lock mechanism. 
My biggest grip with the pocket 3 is the lack of phone gimbal control using gyros.... the virtual joystick is super bad... I can place the pocket 3 in placed that no big camera would be allowed but controlling it via virtual joystick is not good. All the Ronin have this feature not sure why they did not implement it on the mimo app...

• Super Members
1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

My biggest grip with the pocket 3 is the lack of phone gimbal control using gyros.... the virtual joystick is super bad... I can place the pocket 3 in placed that no big camera would be allowed but controlling it via virtual joystick is not good. All the Ronin have this feature not sure why they did not implement it on the mimo app...

This might be worth looking into this to map a physical controller to operate the virtual controls in the app.

The DJI mic can remotely start/stop the Pocket 3 so it does make me wonder whether the capability is there for gimbal control too that is not used.

I quite fancy getting a Pocket 3 so if I do then I’ll be sure to, erm, “investigate” that avenue as well as the data between the app and the camera.

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

This might be worth looking into this to map a physical controller to operate the virtual controls in the app.

The DJI mic can remotely start/stop the Pocket 3 so it does make me wonder whether the capability is there for gimbal control too that is not used.

I quite fancy getting a Pocket 3 so if I do then I’ll be sure to, erm, “investigate” that avenue as well as the data between the app and the camera.

There is not an equivalent for iPhone, an option would be one of this suction one but not sure how good it is. 

As the MIMO app can already control the pocket gimbal and the Ronin App has the gyro logic it would be a week max for DJI to code and test this feature. I dropped a couple of comments in the official dji forum a few months ago... not holding my breath...

On 9/11/2024 at 4:10 PM, gt3rs said:

May 6:30 I believe the iPhone is far superior to a pocket.  Pocket wins with ease and portability while retaining a phone as a phone but image - iPhone 

18 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

May 6:30 I believe the iPhone is far superior to a pocket.  Pocket wins with ease and portability while retaining a phone as a phone but image - iPhone 

I have both and use both a lot at the same time... and the quality of Osmo is noticeable better. The iPhone image breaks a part sooner and is more cocked/fake imo.
Today I did use both as C and D camera and Osmo wins in quality. I use both in their "Log" but no ProRes as is a pita.

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I have both and use both a lot at the same time... and the quality of Osmo is noticeable better. The iPhone image breaks a part sooner and is more cocked/fake imo.
Today I did use both as C and D camera and Osmo wins in quality. I use both in their "Log" but no ProRes as is a pita.

In fact : ) @SRV1981 has a notorious bias in favor of 'iphonegraphy'... LOL ; )

I have nothing against anything but a camera designed to only be a camera is like a woman who has born a native woman (same example serves for a man or a different species) versus any other version else ;- )

What about overheating BTW, comparing both versions of same... *cough cough* : D nature?

Disclaimer:

That said, overheating is something to drive me off similar 'projects' of capture devices! :- )

7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I’d be curious for you to watch the clip I shared and have you comment what about the pocket image you liked better.  

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

fact : ) @SRV1981 has a notorious bias in favor of 'iphonegraphy'... LOL ; )

Ha - not sure what you mean exactly but I do think the iPhone log images are good enough for many situations as an A cam (holiday, non paid work) and a B or C cam in other scenarios.  

I don’t get paid to record video so it’s an easy solution for me and I’m interested in a pocket 3 but it feels redundant when I have log in my phone - turn on airplane mode if messages annoy you is my take. 

the tracking of the pocket makes it a good pairing on the other hand.  We are so close to a point that photo and video will be good enjoying for the vast majority of situations. 

@SRV1981 That's the point: there's no other like a dedicated camera!

'Smartphone engineers' and respective applied technology inherent have no much to praise strictly from taking pleasure to produce pictures with their contribution or the common man realm as target. They look like all the part of the elephant in a china store... ;- )