4K 120fps is now on iPhone...

Emanuel

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

What I'm talking about is very clear and there is an expression for that in english language: Horses for courses. Just because two different devices do a similar work in some situations doesn't mean the CPU inside device A is suitable for the device B. GoPro isn't a Japanese conservative company, and yet they didn't use Snapdragon. 

No.  They either use Ambarella (like every other action camera vendor) or make their own (which might be why they're struggling)

1. Snapdragon, fabbed 12nm or 3nm, has an architecture designed to do a lot of things that are not related to professional dedicated camera, like gaming, playing music, video editing, web browsing, online money transfer, controlling diverse set of peripherals. Look at the M4. Nearly a quarter of the chip is occupied by the GPU: 

GPU, huh?  Graphics Processing Unit?  You're right.  It would be stupid to think that there's anything in a camera that could use a graphics processing unit.  Things like web browsing and online money transfer are not done with dedicated hardware - they are done with general purpose CPU cores.  In context of a camera, they would run the operating system, display menus, etc.  Audio encoder/decoder ("playing music") are, in fact, useful in cameras.  Video editing?  Do you mean encoders and decoders for popular video formats?  Hmm.  Sure would be weird to put those in a camera.

While smaller node for dedicated camera chip is always good news, the big portion of the heat is generated by moving electrons from point A to point B (Sensor to RAM, RAM to CPU, CPU to CFe card). So as long as resolution/frame rate war continues, we'll have heat issue no matter what. So a slim active cooling system should have higher priority than an expensive jump to smaller node. 

1) This is wrong.  Learn how things work before talking about them.  The amount of heat generated by "moving electrons" isn't a lot - otherwise, power lines and every electrical cord in the house would be too hot to touch.  People would need special coolers installed on the interconnects on their computers between the ram and the processor.  Every RV with a 30A receptacle would need several inches of asbestos by their house connection.  

2) Even if it were true, if all other factors are even, if every other system has been optimized as much as possible for efficiency, reducing the power draw of any one component is a win.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I ask about the colour, wondering if a lighter one won't help with the heat, I guess?

This doubt on 4K/120fps overheating coupled to external drive is the last step before to buy my 1st iPhone ever... ;- )

I also wonder if both PRO and PRO Max won't offer different results to handle heat?

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Have you bought the Max? What colour?

No.  16 Pro with "natural titanium" color.  With the "Pro," I can still just barely use it with one hand when walking, etc.  With the Max, I definitely can not.  Maybe in my next life, I'll be born with bigger hands.

I ask about the colour, wondering if a lighter one won't help with the heat, I guess?

Probably a bit if in sunlight.  Probably not much if out of it.

This doubt on 4K/120fps overheating coupled to external drive is the last step before to buy my 1st iPhone ever... ;- )

How long do you need it to roll before stopping before you'd consider it?  😅

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

I also wonder if both PRO and PRO Max won't offer different results to handle heat?

Probably somewhat, but I wouldn't expect it to be night and day.

I went for a walk in the park yesterday and took a few minutes to check things out.

It was about 21C here yesterday and I was by a river so the entire area was in the shade because it's down in a valley.  The setup is a filter adapter that connects by Magsafe and the Angelbird CF express adapter which connects with magnets to that.

I set it up on a rock and rolled 4kp120 ProRes in the Blackmagic Camera app with the 1x/24mm equiv lens.  Sometime between 4 and 8 minutes, the BM app started showing a warning on the record button which seems to indicate that the camera is heating up.  At 13 minutes, I got bored and stopped the recording.  The phone was a bit warm to the touch.  The CF Express adapter was warmer.  At least for me, I don't expect that there will be a lot of times when I need to roll 120 fps for 10+ minutes.  Detaching the reader from the phone would probably help with cooling.

After that, I played around a bit with the phone.  I really like the 5x lens (not sure if I like it enough to replace the 3x) - but I ran into a bug in the BM app where stabilization gets weird with the 5x or 0.5x lenses.  It jumps around a lot.  Hopefully they fix that soon.

On 9/25/2024 at 2:42 PM, eatstoomuchjam said:

How long do you need it to roll before stopping before you'd consider it?  😅  

Well, it's more to be open to have it without much restrictions.

When you're looking for that shot in specific, you can have the chance to roll if for long until to reach the magic moment we'll find the exact moment that will be gold for all the time spent and efforts invested there.

Some other day I was throughout 2 hours of a concert which led me to results I variably lost or not, which means in 10 possible millions, one of them is still a loss, no other 9 will bring it back.

If you follow what I mean here.

Yes, I am insatiable for shots ; ) Sometimes they make all the difference just in time for paycheck of people working with me.

No.  16 Pro with "natural titanium" color.  With the "Pro," I can still just barely use it with one hand when walking, etc.  With the Max, I definitely can not.  Maybe in my next life, I'll be born with bigger hands.

Well, I understand your fair concern and nothing I hadn't thought of it yet, really.

However TBH, comparing both options with my last purchases:

image.thumb.png.d89e6a01143818faf55c8240b4e663d8.png

I don't think Max route will make such an inconvenience other than weight maybe? I found ASUS Zenfone 7 Pro a cumbersome brick for daily use but not really OnePlus 9 Pro : )

https://www.gsmarena.com/size-compare-3d.php3?&idPhone1=10806&idPhone2=13123

Probably somewhat, but I wouldn't expect it to be night and day.

I wonder though if the larger screen on Max model will bring more heat anyways or more room to dissipate it?

https://www.gsmarena.com/size-compare-3d.php3?&idPhone2=13123&idPhone1=13315

I usually don't like white stuff, black is always my fav but if I will buy this one here it will certainly be for handy 4K 120fps on mobile side. Some other day, that would have saved the night when teles stayed at concert door.

PS:

I have obviously followed up your most recent post now, so I do appreciate your findings...

Maybe you could try it up to the edge? Thanks BTW :- )

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

When you're looking for that shot in specific, you can have the chance to roll if for long until to reach the magic moment we'll find the exact moment that will be gold for all the time spent and efforts invested there.

Some other day I was throughout 2 hours of a concert which led me to results I variably lost or not, which means in 10 possible millions, one of them is still a loss, no other 9 will bring it back.

Sure - one thing that might be nice in terms of not missing the moment is that now you can raise the phone and push a button and it will instantly load a photo/video app which is faster than it used to be.  But if you're worried about missing a moment, no amount of speed improvement will help.

Well, I understand your fair concern and nothing I hadn't thought of it yet, really.

However TBH, comparing both options with my last purchases:

A lot of people prefer a bigger phone!  If I could, I'd take an even smaller phone.  If they put the 16 Pro guts in a 16 body, I'd probably take that instead.  The ideal would be a Zoolander-sized smartphone (maybe it could have a projector for the screen).  😀

I wonder though if the larger screen on Max model will bring more heat anyways or more room to dissipate it?

You can turn down the screen brightness a lot if heat genearted by the screen is a concern.

Maybe you could try it up to the edge? Thanks BTW :- )

I meant to try it the other time, but my attention span isn't so long.  It's the same thing that I realized during the brief time when I considered becoming a YouTube camera reviewer.  Maybe I'll try again today.  I could point it out the window or something and leave it while I work.  

Hardly anyone has posted any involving videos in 120p here, which they have crafted themselves. Why that tristesse would change in 4K is beyond my comprehension. I couldn't feel less inspired to wonder about 120p in 4K than I feel by this thread. Decisive moment, seriously, where is it? Show me! Or maybe much rather not.

I really enjoyed @kye 's essay miniseries and screenshots from his journey with the micro cinema cam, travels with a cinematic eye and consciouness through and about the artistic journey. Stuff like that is my fuel to keep coming here.

But this thread is 4K of nothing and that in unbearable 120fps slomo hell. Grain of salt and two cents, so don't get too upset.:)