4K 120fps is now on iPhone...

Emanuel

1 hour ago, kye said:

(...)

The upgrade of a smartphone from 1080p120 to 4k120 is of almost zero practical use in film-making.  Discussion of it at length outside of a very narrow niche can only be academic or fetishistic.

Without mention my appraisal of everything else you wrote, that's not exactly : )

1080p can be enough for filmmaking and 4K can even become counterproductive sometimes, so be it -- only to concur.

But this doesn't mean 4K 120fps isn't a hell of a difference from a lower resolution because it is. And this can really mean a new world of possibilities, no less.

:- )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

A lot of people prefer a bigger phone!  If I could, I'd take an even smaller phone.  If they put the 16 Pro guts in a 16 body, I'd probably take that instead.  The ideal would be a Zoolander-sized smartphone (maybe it could have a projector for the screen).  😀

Me too, love it : ) The problem is thermal management.

You can turn down the screen brightness a lot if heat genearted by the screen is a concern.

Thanks for the reminder : ) No idea if Apple Watch or any other gadget can do the trick to switch off the monitor?

I meant to try it the other time, but my attention span isn't so long.  It's the same thing that I realized during the brief time when I considered becoming a YouTube camera reviewer. 

Were you a YouTube camera reviewer? Have you posted anything you can share?

Maybe I'll try again today.  I could point it out the window or something and leave it while I work.  

Thanks, that actually makes a whole of a difference between a probable purchase and not.

Haven't seen anything 120p on this forum, not to even speak of 4K glory of every one of these precious frames. I've seen about 12 product shots of phones in this thread.

I find it rather elitist to consume our earth and resources to death and to waste our brains for dumb junk filling up our thinking capacities. Phones have allowed to push gazillions of stupidity. That is an elitist approach, to overwhelme by pure marketing brute. Not everyone can be smart all the time, not even you, a man with 30 year long movie career. @Emanuel This thread is proof of that in my eyes. Decisive moment missed because 60p 4k is not enough? Come on. Show yourself your most exiting video frame of the last two years. I imagine Apple has nothing to do with it.

If you like the sensation of shooting 4k120, cool. Too bad this thread is not a discussion of Douglas Trumbulls philosophy or beautiful imagery.

Two cents, grain of salt, happy you're not upset. But please, feel teased and that plenty so.:) @Emanuel

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Haven't seen anything 120p on this forum, not to even speak of 4K glory of every one of these precious frames. I've seen about 12 product shots of phones in this thread.

I find it rather elitist to consume our earth and resources to death and to waste our brains for dumb junk filling up our thinking capacities. Phones have allowed to push gazillions of stupidity. That is an elitist approach, to overwhelme by pure marketing brute. Not everyone can be smart all the time, not even you, a man with 30 year long movie career. @Emanuel This thread is proof of that in my eyes. Decisive moment missed because 60p 4k is not enough? Come on. Show yourself your most exiting video frame of the last two years. I imagine Apple has nothing to do with it.

If you like the sensation of shooting 4k120, cool. Too bad this thread is not a discussion of Douglas Trumbulls philosophy or beautiful imagery.

Two cents, grain of salt, happy you're not upset. But please, feel teased and that plenty so.:) @Emanuel

Listen Marty, I will be very straightforward and friendly as always with you.

1 - Yes, I am not upset.

2 - Life is well beyond art, filmmaking, whatever.

3 - I admit people can be lot of times committed with creating beauty and all that stuff.

4 - But admit you too : ) when you have "gazillions" (as you call it : ) of concerns (let alone private/personal/family life... I brought a 94-year old aunt, like a mother to me, from hospital today where she was with a multilobar pneumonia all week long in the same year I've lost my father just in less than a minute) on keeping your business running up where you need many people to help you in your team... you probably are less focused or even don't give a damn for deep discussions on this or that aspect of aesthetics or technique or even some other angle.

5 - Do I praise a smartphone look? Have I ever purchased an iPhone yet? (a rhetorical interrrogation to respond some other)

6 - They have delivered ProRes from an external device recording, Log and now 4K 120fps.

7 - It's not where 4K 50p/60p distinguishes from 120fps because they actually do (for some reason there's a "p" versus "fps" there ; )

8 - I wonder then on their new thermal management which claims to be 2 to 2.5x superior now.

9 - That's where I am focused. I won't change the world, unfortunately. Apple or pure marketing other than electing the wrong one to the White House which is actually prone to bring some effective difference to our world instead wherever we belong to... phew, that is, everything else doesn't bother me at all.

10 - That said, I think of 4K 120fps on mobile side without overheating as an extra layer of income. When your team stands as your primary way of thought. So, not because of a high life standard or alike. But operating in a complex industry like this one digital has brought nowadays, any open gate for increasing our chances of a survival suit is an oxygen breath.

And remember:

I) The best camera is not that cinematic one but the one you're able to bring with you when you'll need to ; )

II) Digital has fiercely this meaning too.

Probably why me and @eatstoomuchjam, who is the same of those other threads cine-like related but also praises miniaturization after all, both share here the same pages of this thread.

- EAG :- )

Anything pales in the light of tragedy and some things give us comfort in harsh times, sometimes opportunity. For me it was the GX85 which helped me to get through and to cope. I used to carry it with me every day, not around my neck but in my backpack. I mean, Roger Deakins wouldn't carry his camera around the neck after all!:) My kindest thoughts to you and your aunt, dear Emanuel. I am sorry about your dad. I hope you can find more and more comfort day by day in your friends and your art and the positive things around you. Please forgive my harsh tone and words. best, Marty

40 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Anything pales in the light of tragedy and some things give us comfort in harsh times, sometimes opportunity. For me it was the GX85 which helped me to get through and to cope. I used to carry it with me every day, not around my neck but in my backpack. I mean, Roger Deakins wouldn't carry his camera around the neck after all!:) My kindest thoughts to you and your aunt, dear Emanuel. I am sorry about your dad. I hope you can find more and more comfort day by day in your friends and your art and the positive things around you. Please forgive my harsh tone and words. best, Marty

No worries Marty, I wouldn't even call it harsh, just a flamed way of protecting your POV and feeling on art versus technology, I see and actually share : )

Just not the fact I don't like smartphone smell as matter of fact and I could let well expressed in the 1st posts of this thread, this drives me away to wonder how all this technology can help us to use it, as mere arrival of more resources to our craft, on the other hand :- )

Time is a scarce asset indeed and no cinematic versus anything else will bother me to enter in sterile discussions.

It is like to compare theatre with the screen, what for?

There are some other media and ways of expressing ideas, whatever, going on today?

Yes, but nothing touches what we do already know since ever.

Certain introductions like those above-mentioned, they capture my attention.

I even don't mind to open that information to tell me how cinematic is this or that anymore.

We live in a time where only skills count, the device not anymore.

When ultra high resolution 10-bit (but could be 8-bit as 3:1:1 HDCAM a couple of decades ago) comes with an action camera nowadays.

Speaking of devil, Insta360 ACE PRO offers the best outcome among them and is only 8-bit ;- )

8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Were you a YouTube camera reviewer? Have you posted anything you can share?

They're all pretty bad/cringeworthy now, but sure - here's one where you can see me confused by the Osmo Raw.

8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Thanks, that actually makes a whole of a difference between a probable purchase and not.

Apparently airflow matters a lot.  While it ran for about 13 minutes the other day and merely felt warm to the touch, I set it up by the window of my house today.  The house is about 25C inside, but there's no breeze like there was by the river aside from it being a bit warmer.  After 12:10 of recording ProRes 120p, the BlackMagic app stopped recording due to high temperature.  When I picked up the phone, it was uncomfortably hot and so was the CF adapter.

So rolling long takes at indoor concerts doesn't seem like it'll be a thing!