Moving RGB upgrade from one Sony PMW-F3 to another ?

Gerry J

Hi everyone,

I have two Sony PMW-F3s: one has a damaged sensor, and the other is in perfect condition. However, the damaged one has the RGB444 upgrade installed, while the one in good condition doesn’t, because the RGB upgrade software was never installed with the SxS memory card.

According to the Sony PMW-F3 manual, it’s possible to uninstall the RGB upgrade from the camera that has it by transferring the upgrade software back onto the SxS card, so it can be installed on another camera. The issue is that to uninstall the RGB upgrade from the camera to the SxS card, I need to enter the 4-digit password used when I first installed the upgrade. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the password. The manual says to contact a Sony service representative if the password is forgotten, but since this is such an old camera, I’m unsure if that will help. I already tried contacting Sony, but I was told the camera is no longer serviced.

I’m asking if anyone here has been in a similar situation. What procedure did you follow, and how did the Sony service representative help you if you forgot the 4-digit code? Back in the days?

Perhaps you worked as a Sony representative servicing Sony PMW-F3 related issues and remember how you helped folks who would forget the 4 digit password they would pick before installing the rgb upgrade?

Or maybe you can pinpoint any other solution?

I really appreciate if you read this far, and thank for any help!

Wish you a good day!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs