pure image quality

zlfan

if looking at the image as a whole, not about the resolution, nor about dr, 

looking at my previous footage with different cameras that i own,

i think r1mx is the best. epic mx footage is not as flexible as r1mx in post. 5d3ml has the most natural colors. f3 has the most color hues. 

no wonder r1mx was a big hit in the cinema world, at least 10 years ahead of the crowd. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

you post the dumbest shit in the world. if you can only make an image look nice on a shitty 1st gen red and not on anything better you are straight up not talented.

in the grand scheme of things, if we’re talking pure image quality, when composing your shot, the color of the walls and curtains are variables that are a lot more important than camera choice.

On 9/11/2024 at 1:40 PM, zlfan said:

if looking at the image as a whole, not about the resolution, nor about dr, 

looking at my previous footage with different cameras that i own,

i think r1mx is the best. epic mx footage is not as flexible as r1mx in post. 5d3ml has the most natural colors. f3 has the most color hues. 

no wonder r1mx was a big hit in the cinema world, at least 10 years ahead of the crowd. 

I've always been interested in the Red One, not professionally but purely hobby. Have any stills from stuff you shot on it you'd care to share? 

On 9/12/2024 at 9:05 AM, PPNS said:

you post the dumbest shit in the world. if you can only make an image look nice on a shitty 1st gen red and not on anything better you are straight up not talented.

in the grand scheme of things, if we’re talking pure image quality, when composing your shot, the color of the walls and curtains are variables that are a lot more important than camera choice.

cameras in the 2010-2015 time seem to me are optimized for specific tasks. 

I almost exclusively use these cameras for landscape, events and streets. canon c100s, c300 og, c500 have very nice sooc skin tones, but not so good for landscape. f3 seems to be good on both, although I don't use it for events due to its ergonomics. I know f3 is good for landscape. fs100 although is said to have the same sensor as f3, it is not as good as f3, but better in color than canon cinema cams. r1mx and epic x mx are very similar in final image rendering, but r1mx has more room in post. the old reds have that kind of look like old leica lenses, not sharp, but high resolution. color wise, for landscape, r1mx is not as good as 5d3ml and f3. for skin tones, from the milk girls, I think old reds are top. f5 looks better than fs7. fs7 has good enough resolution, but that is it, it is below the tier of r1mx, epic x mx, f3, 5d3ml, f5, c500 og. 

will fs7 or c300 og reach to the level of r1mx? I seriously doubt so. of course, r1mx has issues of being heavy and big, not reliable, out dated media, etc. my copy has a ssd adapter, so media is not a big issue. I rig it for shoulder mount, actually pretty comfortable, almost as good as f5. I have to bring gold mount batteries with me in a back pack. but image itself, r1mx really attracts my eyes. fs7, on the other hand, although has good enough resolution, does not look so appealing. 

it is like the lens. I bought a samyang 35mm f1.4 lens, as I read from duclos, that it is as good as Zeiss zf 35mm f1.4 (not the later milvus version). I just did not like the samyang rendering. I just like Zeiss zf better. I later donated this samyang lens, and never buy another samyang/rokinon lens. from my experience, there is something unscientific about lens. 

now, I realize that this is similar to cameras. very possibly, in the near future, for a specific scene, you will have a specific lens and a specific camera, and for the whole shootout, you may need several bodies and lenses, just like in the still photo world. and they are all unique in their own terms. 

I have more than a dozen 50 mm lenses, maybe two dozen. Some are af for different mounts, some are for infinity af, some are macro 50mm ones. Some are mf lenses, with different rendering styles. Some are medium format ones. Each its own. I just store them in case I need them. 

It is the same for cameras, even with the same or similar specs, they are different. 

I used to like KISS, one lens and one camera. Yeh, it is a wish. Actually, the cameras and lenses will be accumulated according to your wallet size. Sorry, buddies, truth hurts. It is never too late to avoid photography and cinematography. 

15 hours ago, zlfan said:

It is the same for cameras, even with the same or similar specs, they are different. 

I used to like KISS, one lens and one camera. Yeh, it is a wish. Actually, the cameras and lenses will be accumulated according to your wallet size. 

I'm finding that, unlike earlier in my life, I have so many cameras I have access to now that which one to choose becomes a matter of image characteristics and physical logistics. I choose a camera much like a painter would choose watercolour or oil paint. It depends on what look you want as well as what situations you'll be in as to which one, all the while knowing that they'll each add a certain something that could communicate something.

For example, in my next film I'm shooting most of it with a Digital Bolex, this is because it's planned as a nod to the French New Wave films and that will give it a kind of 16mm look. It's set in the present day and one character will have a video diary, for this I'm thinking of a Panasonic HDC-SD9 to give it an early cell phone/ digital camera look (without going to standard definition). I'm even thinking of another camera which might even be a (gasp!) vertically shot iPhone which will represent a different mood/situation. It becomes just another tool to use, partly for mood and partly as a reference to the technology of different times.

I have way too much stuff. Now, that ebay sucks big time, I wish myself good luck selling stuff.

OG pocket will stay with me, that's for sure, Bmmcc maybe. Haven't even tested my 5D2, 5D3 nor Eos M for their magic lantern magic, F3 for some shots of leaves in the wind.😂

But that's besides the point of the topic of this thread.:) F3 external should do it for me in the image department, so do the og pocket and the Bmmcc.