Panasonic Release New MFT and FF Box Cameras

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Ahead of the IBC, Panasonic have announced two new box cameras.

The UB-50 is a full frame L mount camera and the UB-10 is an MFT camera.

l-en240911-6-2.thumb.jpeg.28d9360c33e741ab26d4648a4a44fc34.jpeg

Its a pity the didn't call the bigger one the UB-40 as that would've given some food for the thought and possibly make RED RED Whine (ask your Grandad) .

Details are scant and no idea of pricing.

Product pages here :

https://eu.connect.panasonic.com/gb/en/broadcast-proav/aw-ub50

https://eu.connect.panasonic.com/gb/en/broadcast-proav/aw-ub10

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
22 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

BGS1 and BGH1?

Without being able to see the complete spec for these new ones it is difficult to differentiate although the obvious advance Panasonic have made with their FF and MFT sensors since those two is PDAF so the speculation would be its that but then they'd make a big song and dance over it in the announcement if it was.

Because, yes, otherwise its a case of ..

bekphnqftcb41.thumb.jpeg.86cda882bddf4857eb787626c3361a62.jpeg

‘Multi-Purpose’ camera.

What purposes are those then other than shooting video?

Does it shoot stills?

Does it make coffee?

“For emotional and cinematic video”.

First I cried. Then I laughed. Then I got all serious and finally kicked the dog.

Who writes this shit? 🤡

I'm lost.

Did BGS1 and BGH1 have dual native ISO or it's a new implementation?

is all of this a preview of what we will see on S2H?

Dual Native ISO

Both models come with Dual Native ISO for high-sensitivity video even in low-light environments, allowing shooting with compact lighting equipment or natural light without significantly compromising video quality. This also reduces the need for extensive post-production work, such as noise reduction. In ISO Auto mode, ISO sensitivity is displayed in real time to visualize noise levels while shooting.

image.png.c6425f78872bbb0d4c7979f3c053b6b1.png

1 hour ago, Davide DB said:

Announcement given half-heartedly. Almost as if they were ashamed. 

Panasonic's marketing should be fired on the spot.

And the box camera came after the S1H last time?

Maybe there is a market for the box camera, I don't know, but YouTube isn't exactly asking for it, but what do I or they know...

57 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

is all of this a preview of what we will see on S2H?

I doubt it as it's 4k only and there's no way they will release any S2H as 'only' 4k as they will be laughed out of business.

Reads to me like an update of the BS1H but with PDAF and lower dual native ISO's of 400 and 2000 vs 640 and 4000 of the B/S1H.

It's all a bit odd...unless I am missing something?

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Maybe there is a market for the box camera, I don't know, but YouTube isn't exactly asking for it

It has been a reflex action for quite a few years for people to ask why don't they make a box version of it every time a new hybrid camera comes out that has "cinema camera" potential.

If the sales of the last generation of these cameras and latterly the Micro Studio version of the P4K are anything to go by though then those self same people are keen on the espousing the concept but not that keen on the actual purchasing.

There is a market for broadcast oriented models like this one though for remote operated multi camera broadcasts just that they won't generate many gurning thumbnails from the baseball cap wearing bearded YouTubers hanging about in their mauve backlit lairs.

• Administrators

It's very odd what Panasonic have prioritised over releasing the S1 Mark II, S1R Mark II and S1H Mark II.

They have updated the G9, because that's an insane best seller of a camera isn't it? And it really was crying out to be updated in an S5 Mark II body, hence G9 II and it is now languishing at something like 58th in the sales chart for 2024.

They have updated the GH6, as the GH7 being part of a dead system is obviously more important than an S1H isn't it!

And now we have the new box cameras, aimed at the cinema market which is currently in a huge downturn, maybe Panasonic want to capitalise on the raving success of the first box cameras, which sold a mammoth 5 units.

At this rate we are going to see a Panasonic CM1 Mark II, a GM1 successor (S9 anyone?) and a sequel to the long line of sales chart toppers known by their initials G... as in G100, the vlogging camera.

The S9 really nobody wanted it, I don't know why it exists.

The GH7 I can just about understand, I'm glad the GH series will die AFTER getting autofocus and not before.

The G9 II doesn't need to exist, just use a GH7.

The S5 Mark II probably should not have come out BEFORE the S1 Mark II.

The box cameras, I really couldn't give a hoot about.

Somebody wake me up when Panasonic rejoins the camera market and stops messing about.

What's new in these cameras? Do they have newer sensors, or even PDAF? Why is Panasonic suddenly releasing these two cameras? 

" ...Multiple IP Transmission Standards

..."

So basically the same cameras with slightly better connectivity? 

•  

The marketing materials seemed to be making a big deal of their IP connectivity and support for various PTZ protocols.  3 of 7 boxes from Panasonic's page relate to streaming/PTZ/multi-camera.  It could be that they're making a play for the church streaming market (which seems weirdly big) as well as things like podcast studios, etc.

Overall, it's a ho-hum announcement.  Unless the camera is really cheap, I can't see it making much of a splash.

image.png.b83e79abfa1bf018e33a45fbedcbdab4.png

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's very odd what Panasonic have prioritised over releasing the S1 Mark II, S1R Mark II and S1H Mark II.

They have updated the G9, because that's an insane best seller of a camera isn't it? And it really was crying out to be updated in an S5 Mark II body, hence G9 II and it is now languishing at something like 58th in the sales chart for 2024.

They have updated the GH6, as the GH7 being part of a dead system is obviously more important than an S1H isn't it!

And now we have the new box cameras, aimed at the cinema market which is currently in a huge downturn, maybe Panasonic want to capitalise on the raving success of the first box cameras, which sold a mammoth 5 units.

At this rate we are going to see a Panasonic CM1 Mark II, a GM1 successor (S9 anyone?) and a sequel to the long line of sales chart toppers known by their initials G... as in G100, the vlogging camera.

The S9 really nobody wanted it, I don't know why it exists.

The GH7 I can just about understand, I'm glad the GH series will die AFTER getting autofocus and not before.

The G9 II doesn't need to exist, just use a GH7.

The S5 Mark II probably should not have come out BEFORE the S1 Mark II.

The box cameras, I really couldn't give a hoot about.

Somebody wake me up when Panasonic rejoins the camera market and stops messing about.

Might it be because they are trying to avoid another GH6 situation and are on the cusp of something big that has delayed it? I'm not sure what that could be, but people certainly weren't very happy when the G9 II was released with PDAF not long after the GH6.

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Might it be because they are trying to avoid another GH6 situation and are on the cusp of something big that has delayed it?

But that doesn’t make sense either…

Since the S5ii, other than the GH7, they have been slightly controversial releases to say the least.

I kind of get the G9ii using the S5 body and I understand there is a market for box cameras but no one was really asking for the S9 and I gave that one a go myself, but nah.

What brand loyal folks are actually ASKING for is a next gen S1 line.

It makes me question my loyalty to this brand which I have been using in recent years as what they offer has suited me but only up to a point.

It still suits me, for my video needs anyway and I am pretty sure will for several years at least because other than one new lens purchase next year (the new 28-105 f2.8), I am actually 100% content with the kit I have.

But they lost me for stills at the end of last year and continue to do so without any ‘S2’.

If there is no successor to the S1 line, I suppose it doesn’t even matter because at some point in Year X, I’d need to update my kit because it won’t last the rest of my career being realistic.

I just think though that in principle, companies need to do 2 things:

A. Look after and retain the customers you have plus

B. Release new stuff on a reasonably regular basis because that is the lifeblood of most business whether they be a camera company, a car manufacturer or a business selling fragrance.

Lumix are one of the best with firmware and their products are somewhere between solid and the best, but they just seem to fall short of their potential as a whole when it comes to brand loyalty.

Having said all that, I do think an S1 line successor is coming and I reckon it will be a 2 model approach rather than a 3 because I think the S5 line has replaced the S1 line, so going forward, a video-orientated unit plus a stills one.

Possibly any delay…if it is a delay is because one of the models was not ready and rather than drip launch 3 different models as they did previously, they wish to launch the pair together?

And that is what I would want to do if I was Lumix because the power of 1+1=3.

Get some pre-launch excitement going in this last quarter with an official announcement it’s coming start of 2nd quarter next year and start of next year, ie, 1st quarter, drop some very big hints as to what.

As I wrote here the problem is all in the marketing department that should be sent to Siberia immediately.

It is clear that these two products are aimed at a professional niche audience (evidently filling some broadcast market gap) since even the web pages are on the Pana pro site and not Lumix. No event, no influencers... Even the technical features are listed almost mysteriously. A sign that it is not aimed at the classic Lumix audience.

The problem is the timing.

You almost sneak out such a product while your entire Lumix user base has been waiting over a year for the new iteration of S1 models. Suicide. Now half your Lumix customers think you're finished.

I repeat: siberia, siberia!!!!

Note, and with this I swear this is the last conspiracy post I make, that immediately following the announcement the usual rumors about the specifications of the new S1HII came out immediately.

Either they realized the mess and tried to fix it or the geniuses thought the rumors would be enough to appease the user base.

I shut up