Panasonic Release New MFT and FF Box Cameras

BTM_Pix

• Super Members
39 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

The problem is the timing.

The timing of this is perfectly understandable as the IBC show starts today so it was a pre-show announcement to get some traction before the avalanche of other product announcements happen.

These are not aimed at their S camera market but are still potentially noteworthy for some in that area who would prefer the same image but within that box form factor and with additional connectivity and control.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Davide DB said:

Note, and with this I swear this is the last conspiracy post I make, that immediately following the announcement the usual rumors about the specifications of the new S1HII came out immediately.

Either they realized the mess and tried to fix it or the geniuses thought the rumors would be enough to appease the user base.

I shut up

Ha, I don’t think you are a conspiracy theorist but simply stating what a lot of us Lumix users are thinking.

At EOSHD and even on YouTube in general, we might only make up a small percentage of actual purchasers and because of that, maybe the marketing dept. at Lumix (mistakenly) think we don’t matter, but I agree, they consistently don’t seem to really understand marketing. 

Or maybe I/we don’t and they are correct with their approach…

But I think not. It’s almost like some obstinate “we would rather cut our own noses off than change” mentality that holds them back.

It’s not like they are the only one’s…

How hard for instance does your insurance company try to retain your custom every year?

I bet not very.

How much would it cost to retain you?

Less than they spend on attracting and discounting new customers.

They get away with it because enough people just can’t be bothered to shop around each year so just renew.

The issue here though is that folks are a little more interested and invested in the product and brand than they are with insurance.

Folks WILL and do go elsewhere.

Not that it makes much real world difference to me, I just don’t like stupidity in any form 🤪

39 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

“Flexible Options for Diverse Expression Based on Your Imagination.”

Finally, now I can use my imagination when filming. Didn’t know I could do that. 

I think an intern using ChatGPT writes this shit.

On 9/13/2024 at 1:15 PM, MrSMW said:

no one was really asking for the S9

Found this video the other day...  turns out that Japanese camera company made a camera that catered to the Japanese, and (and this is the kicker...) the Japanese people liked it.  

Who knew?

He talks about the S9 specifically at 1:25.

The whole thing would be equivalent to GoPro making a camera for the US market, the US market really liking it, the US people buying it, and the Japanese people all talking in Japanese about how GoPro made a useless camera because no-one in Japan liked it. lol.

On 9/13/2024 at 2:24 PM, BTM_Pix said:

The timing of this is perfectly understandable as the IBC show starts today so it was a pre-show announcement to get some traction before the avalanche of other product announcements happen.

These are not aimed at their S camera market but are still potentially noteworthy for some in that area who would prefer the same image but within that box form factor and with additional connectivity and control.

Let's say that someone wanted to use one of these in a minimalist rig.  How would they do that?

It appears to record internally to SD card, has a battery port on the back, and has many buttons and a wheel on top, so really it just needs a monitor?  If so, it appears to have HDMI and SDI out ports, so a monitor that supported either of those looks like it should work?

It's interesting that the MFT one is barely lighter than the FF one, although they're both quite light in the grand scheme of things.

45 minutes ago, kye said:

Found this video the other day...  turns out that Japanese camera company made a camera that catered to the Japanese, and (and this is the kicker...) the Japanese people liked it.  

How shocking! A Japanese company knows very well what the Japanese customers want. 

34 minutes ago, kye said:

It appears to record internally to SD card, has a battery port on the back, and has many buttons and a wheel on top, so really it just needs a monitor?  If so, it appears to have HDMI and SDI out ports, so a monitor that supported either of those looks like it should work?

In an ideal world, everyone should start supporting USB-C (with a locking connector) as their interface for a camera monitor with controls on it. 

https://www.newsshooter.com/2024/09/12/blackmagic-design-pyxis-monitor/ 

44 minutes ago, kye said:

Let's say that someone wanted to use one of these in a minimalist rig.  How would they do that?

It's interesting that the MFT one is barely lighter than the FF one, although they're both quite light in the grand scheme of things.

Those camera are for a completely different segment. They are in same league of remote and ptz camera like Sony:

https://pro.sony/en_BA/products/ptz-cameras

• Super Members
4 hours ago, kye said:

Yes, it’s analogous to the BMMCC.

Frustratingly, Panasonic has not released the full specs but on the presumption that it is the BS1H with PDAF (which it looks like it is) then it’s far more interesting that many are giving it credit for.

Based on that presumption…

The ideal monitor for it would be either the Ninja V or the BM Video Assist as it’s capable of outputting to ProRes RAW and BRAW so you get double duty.

A lot of people are, quite righty, excited by the PIXSYS but when you put them side by side I think the Panasonic is arguably a better proposition .

They both need a monitor anyway so using a Video Assist, for example, evens it up on the BRAW front.

That would also give you the option to record in regular ProRes, which the PIXSYS can’t do.

The PIXSYS doesn’t record any compressed formats internally (aside from h.264 proxies) whereas the Panasonic does 4:2:2 10 bit and can do it simultaneously to the RAW output.

The Panasonic AF will also smoke that of the PIXSYS.

For what it’s worth, it’s also Netflix approved.

Price wise, based off the BS1H pricing, they’re not too far apart either.

Food for thought really for anyone considering getting in line for the PIXSYS.

4 hours ago, kye said:

It's interesting that the MFT one is barely lighter than the FF one

Ah the old G9ii / S5ii chestnut.

Thinking about it, is the launch of these things not a good sign that Lumix are still making new cameras so it follows that a new ‘S2’ line will be next?

We just need confirmation that a load of familiar suspect YouTubers are off somewhere exotic as a heads up and then we will have had ‘official’ confirmation 👍

On 9/14/2024 at 4:38 PM, Davide DB said:

Those camera are for a completely different segment. They are in same league of remote and ptz camera like Sony:

https://pro.sony/en_BA/products/ptz-cameras

Unfortunately, as someone who has exactly zero market segments catering even remotely to what I want to do, I have to go to the mountain rather than waiting for it to come to me.

On 9/14/2024 at 5:29 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Yes, it’s analogous to the BMMCC.

Frustratingly, Panasonic has not released the full specs but on the presumption that it is the BS1H with PDAF (which it looks like it is) then it’s far more interesting that many are giving it credit for.

Based on that presumption…

The ideal monitor for it would be either the Ninja V or the BM Video Assist as it’s capable of outputting to ProRes RAW and BRAW so you get double duty.

A lot of people are, quite righty, excited by the PIXSYS but when you put them side by side I think the Panasonic is arguably a better proposition .

They both need a monitor anyway so using a Video Assist, for example, evens it up on the BRAW front.

That would also give you the option to record in regular ProRes, which the PIXSYS can’t do.

The PIXSYS doesn’t record any compressed formats internally (aside from h.264 proxies) whereas the Panasonic does 4:2:2 10 bit and can do it simultaneously to the RAW output.

The Panasonic AF will also smoke that of the PIXSYS.

For what it’s worth, it’s also Netflix approved.

Price wise, based off the BS1H pricing, they’re not too far apart either.

Food for thought really for anyone considering getting in line for the PIXSYS.

Ah the old G9ii / S5ii chestnut.

Pairing it with a VA seems a sensible move for a Resolve native like me.  Obviously lots of details are still unknown and you'd want to look over the details before the rig was really optimised, but such a thing would make sense.

I guess we'll have to wait to really get any solid info in order to evaluate it.  Having the GH7 sensor in such a form-factor would make a lot of sense, and with some interface changes these two might be the BS1H and BG1H - the chassis look identical.

I know a guy here in AU who does corporate stuff that just picked up a second BS1H to go multi-cam and he got it new for AUD1900 / USD1282.  He'd been watching them like a hawk and kept seeing more and more deals and he held out pretty long and pounced at that price.  I think that might have been from Amazon AU but can't be sure.

My comment about the size comparison wasn't necessarily a criticism.  If Panny built a camera that could handle the heat and data rates from a FF sensor and the physical stress of a professional standard FF lens mount and then just changed the sensor board over for the MFT one it's likely to mean that there's more engineering headroom than a purpose-built MFT camera might have.

Anyway, this is all armchair daydreaming.  My likely path is that I won't know what I want or have a clear idea of my priorities for a long time and when combined with my personal rule to not buy anything unless I have clarity, I won't be buying anything for a long time.  Plus, the BMMCC is hardly a slouch, so the motivation to upgrade would be pretty low intensity anyway.

If I’m being optimistic, I see them building random cameras out of old spare parts with slight improvements to get rid of all the old tech before big changes to their line up. They must have thousands of those damn box camera bodies built up and sitting in a warehouse dead in the water. If they can easily add some slight improvements and upgrade them for sale in late 2024 it means they move some units and clear things out.