Blackmagic Announce New Monitor For PYXIS

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks great! Lots of extremely nice details. I love that Blackmagic makes large monitors. Unless I'm forgetting someone, RED is the only other company that makes first party monitors (integrated OR detachable) that are 5" in more? Locking USB C cables are great, and I would love to see them get standardized as the single power/signal/control cable on all cameras. The mounting looks well designed as well.

It does highlight, though, that the fixed screen on the body is sort of redundant. It's so hard to imagine using it often at all. If I was using a Pyxis, I'd rather have mounting on the left side for a handle or whatever, instead of a big piece of scratchable glass which will inevitably remain off while I use the proper monitor they just announced.

2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Unless I'm forgetting someone, RED is the only other company that makes first party monitors

RED doesn't make first-party monitors.  They add some capabilities to SmallHD monitors and add the single connection option.

2 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

It does highlight, though, that the fixed screen on the body is sort of redundant.

As an owner/user of a Komodo-X, I'd say having a screen on the side for settings is really nice (vs fixed top screen).  It just seems silly to me that they made a settings/focus puller screen so big.  

1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

RED doesn't make first-party monitors.  They add some capabilities to SmallHD monitors and add the single connection option.

As an owner/user of a Komodo-X, I'd say having a screen on the side for settings is really nice (vs fixed top screen).  It just seems silly to me that they made a settings/focus puller screen so big.  

Well, whether it's rebranding or 1st party or partnership, the fact is that various RED packages used to include larger RED branded monitors that integrated by design into their DSMC lineup. For all I know, Blackmagic's is modified version of something else. All I meant is that Blackmagic has a nice history of using big screens, all the way back to the old BMCC 2.5k. It's nice that they've now moved to something detachable that still has single cable, 1st party support. Sony FX or Canon C models usually have smaller monitors.

Personally I don't want any screen built onto the camera. It's not a huge deal, I just can't see myself ever using it. When I shot with Z Cam I never used the screen, always a monitor or phone. It's not that I'd avoid the Pyxis because of it, but I'd prefer it weren't there.

Sure - though to be clear, no current Red (that I'm aware of) ships with the DSMC3 Red Touch screen.  It's a $3,000 add-on - between a 50% and 150% price premium over the SmallHD screen that they modify (depending on which model of SmallHD).  In this regard, the Pyxis monitor is a LOT better.  Even without supporting the buttons, if any other cameras support the image/power over USB-C, I'll almost certainly be a customer for it.

2 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Sure - though to be clear, no current Red (that I'm aware of) ships with the DSMC3 Red Touch screen.  It's a $3,000 add-on - between a 50% and 150% price premium over the SmallHD screen that they modify (depending on which model of SmallHD).  In this regard, the Pyxis monitor is a LOT better.  Even without supporting the buttons, if any other cameras support the image/power over USB-C, I'll almost certainly be a customer for it.

I wasn't even talking about current, nor that they necessarily ship together in the same box. I'm can't think of any 5+ inch monitors that also have camera control and power over a single cable outside of maybe some studio broadcast equipment.