new camera purchase

maxJ4380

1 hour ago, mercer said:

@maxJ4380 I know Canon was taken off the table early on in the discussion but since nobody inquired about the animation purpose of the camera, I figured I'd bring it back into the mix. The reason I mention it is because Canon has introduced animation versions of some of there cameras. I was always curious about those models, but since I do not do animation, my curiosity was fleeting.

from what i have read you need to send the camera back to a service center. The animation firmware update for the camera adds another $300 to the cost. perhaps you can buy preinstalled. i'm not sure.

CanonEOS R960 x 640

CanonEOS R (Stop Motion Firmware)1920 x 1280

CanonEOS RP 960 x 640

CanonEOS RP (Stop Motion Firmware)1920 x 1280

CanonEOS R3 960 x 640

CanonEOS R5 960 x 640

CanonEOS R5 (Stop Motion Firmware)1920 x 1280

CanonEOS R5 C 960 x 640

CanonEOS R6 960 x 640

CanonEOS R6 Mark II960 x 640

CanonEOS R6 Mark II (Stop Motion Firmware)1920 x 1280

CanonEOS R7 960 x 640

CanonEOS R8 960 x 640

As far as i am aware it alters the live view size, which is useful when you set up your scene. its probably very handy to have a larger view available. however the camera still shoots a raw file for your animation.  

it also does something with rf lenses to control flicker and thats as much as i know about it.

I have enough vintage mf lenses and i know the workarounds for flicker so i am not that excited for the canon. if i lacked lenses and was buying into a new system and rf lenses then the canon might be ideal.   

the PanasonicLumix DC-G9  does 1280 x 960 which is better than a standard canon but not one with the animation update. I'm not so sure i am missing out on too much  between the g9 and the canon all things considered. The only other thing that concerns me is mf lenses are fairly solid things, not much to go wrong.

This new rf mount is electronic and plastic (as far as i am aware) what sort of life can you expect if used day in and day out specially if the animation update has the lens working all the time to avoid flicker? you would think canon have done their homework but i would prefer not to be using my money to find out.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

for your perusal i found some more info on the canons 

Canon offers a Stop Motion Animation Firmware addon for EOS R, EOS RP, R5, R8, R100, and EOS R6 Mark II cameras. You must purchase a camera with the special firmware, or send your camera in to get it updated. It is a paid offering. (The models that are available may vary by region.)

Here is an overview of the features it provides, and the support in each version of Dragonframe:

FeatureDragonframe 4Dragonframe 5 or newer

Supported CamerasR/RPR/RP/R8/R100/R6 Mark II

HD Live View (1920 x 1280)YESYES

Focus PeakingYESYES

Aperture Lock---YES

Focus Programming---YES

HD Live View: The live view (video assist) is doubled from 960×640 to 1920×1280.

Focus Peaking: The camera shows which parts of the image are in focus with bright colored pixels. You must use an RF lens and set it to ‘MF’.

Aperture Lock: The camera keeps the lens closed during video assist and while capturing photos. This prevents potential flicker from the aperture opening and closing repeatedly. Requires an RF lens and Dragonframe 5 or newer. The feature is always on in Dragonframe 5. You can verify by choosing a fairly closed aperture, like f/22, and looking into the lens. Verify that it is closed during live view. Then verify that when you take a picture it does not open and close.

Focus Programming: This also requires an RF lens and Dragonframe 5 or newer. Dragonframe can program the focus if you create an axis in ARC and set the Connection to ‘Digital Focus’. This feature does not work on a shot that also zooms. Changing the zoom affects the focus range.