Leica Q3 43

zlfan

I’ve recently picked up a few half frame cameras from the 1960’s…!!! Love the styling and the lovely black and chrome.

All of these cameras have jumped up in price like all retro film cameras so I guess I could see Fuji understanding their market and giving people another pocketable fun camera. Like a Lomo, or maybe a new X100v trend. 

I don’t think I see them doing Full Frame at this point. 

IMG_6976.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

All of these cameras have jumped up in price like all retro film cameras so I guess I could see Fuji understanding their market and giving people another pocketable fun camera. Like a Lomo, or maybe a new X100v trend. 

Right, but we're not talking about them releasing a film camera.  We're talking about a digital camera that has a half frame sensor.  23.5x15.6mm and half frame is 18x24mm.  They're basically the same size with the only difference being that half frame is naturally portrait orientation and being 4:3 ratio instead of 3:2.  Does Sony even make a 18x24 sensor?  Or is Fuji just going to take one of the bigger APS-C sensors  and rotate it 90 degrees?

It would seem to make more sense for them to go APS-H (similar to Red's S35) or go fixed lens FF or MF.

4 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Right, but we're not talking about them releasing a film camera.  We're talking about a digital camera that has a half frame sensor.  23.5x15.6mm and half frame is 18x24mm.  They're basically the same size with the only difference being that half frame is naturally portrait orientation and being 4:3

Oh trust me, I know all about half frame format, as I mentioned I just picked up a few more and have over 15 different vintage half frame cameras by Konica, Yashica and Olympus etc…

My point was that Fuji has done a good job focusing on small retro styled cameras in the past and that’s been a successful strategy for them. I could see them using the current trend of gen Z loving all things analog and vintage and making a modern camera that “sells” the aesthetic. As you mention, Half frame puts two vertical  images on a single 35mm frame so making a little 1” sensor fun camera with low res vertical images feels very likely compared to a whole new full frame camera. Add some film grain and Fuji looks in a small compact body sound like a camera gen z will Love.