Film is BACK and Outselling Mirrorless Cameras!

zlfan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Perhaps film is growing faster (from a very low starting point) than digital cameras. Doesn't mean there are more of them being sold though!

This video merely refers to one brand (Fujfilm, who dominate the film niche of new sales with their Instax subbrand). And it's including not just the sales of the cameras, but the film too (which can easily stack up to being even more than the camera itself!). 

So the headline of the video ("😱 Film is BACK and Outselling Mirrorless Cameras!") is totally misleading and false, as this isn't at all true for the wider camera industry once you add in Sony/Nikon/Panasonic/Pentax/Leica/etc sales. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So the headline of the video ("😱 Film is BACK and Outselling Mirrorless Cameras!") is totally misleading and false

This is how we get our ‘facts’ these days…

Some fella with his clickbait YouTube channel talks a load of shite and some folks instantly believe and report it to others like it’s the gospel.

I saw some other fella on his channel the other day, reporting the spec of the S1Hii as fact based on spec lifted off this guys channel which he got from where exactly?

I shouldn’t comment, it makes me slightly cross all the utter BS ‘info’ out there 🤪

There is certainly a brisk business in disposable film cameras; apart from the disposables and instant cameras there aren't many new film cameras being made these days. But disposables are very popular and my film lab sometimes shows photos of the huge crates of processed disposables that they have to put out on the curb several times per year for trash/recycling pickup.

Film's popularity varies depending on where you live. I'm in Montréal, which has a high population of young immigrants from France, and film is huge in France. Most of the people who work at my lab are French and there is often a line out the door of people who want to drop off their film for processing. I'm usually the only person in that line over the age of 30. I see almost as many film cameras out on the street here as digital, but in the areas frequented by tourists it's mostly mirrorless cameras and of course phones.

Sure, film is back and has been for quite a while but yeah, the claim that it's outselling mirrorless cameras is ludicrous.