Spielberg could shoot his movies with iPhone log

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The point with shallow DOF is only both:

a) three-dimensional approach as alternative of a pure reality construction;

b) the game with the elements inside the frame coupled to the interconnection operated by the viewer, with that requiring the necessary angle to be built up from observer/participant's mind -- pure vibe based on the qualification of reception aesthetics;

OK, thrice...

People struggle to care about the Hitchcock's standpoint:

What for cows' perspective is, after all?

When Truffaut asked him why his movies with trains as location have no establishing shots outside the train.

- EAG

PS: Hope this helps for a better and educated scope on the subject matter ;- )

3 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Bogdanovich and Fuller were also against the establishing shot for the sake of establishing the shot.  If I remember right, Hitchcock preferred to end with the establishing shot since he felt it had more dramatic effect (and I would be the last person to argue with Mr. Hitchcock about what has dramatic effect).

Yes, despite the fact no establishing shots about trains crossing the landscape from that allergy to give the POV to the cow... And he was not contemporary of MTV with the frigo replacing the livestock! LOL

However, that position of the establishing shot to end the scene is typical of modern cinema and it is the way we at film school were used to end our exercises as part of our learning how to deal with the narrative potential and the need of its dramaturgical empowerment :- )

11 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Who needs shallow DOF?

Agreed--if I had the production budget to make the backgrounds beautiful, I would never have anything out of focus! (Small exaggeration)

Some of my favorite scenes and shots, for example

Once Upon a Time in the West
https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fbcb910b2-4302-4b6b-b8e1-c52220adeaa4_1200x500.jpeg

Barry Lyndon
https://sbiff.org/wp-content/uploads/barry-lyndon-1080x675.jpg

19 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

I think that, as with many things, the only rule is to choose what tells the story best without resorting to dogma.  Hitchcock was also, situationally, a fan of opening with the wide establishing shot and then bringing the shots closer and closer to the subject.

It's very genre dependent, too. I love sci fi and fantasy, both of which have spectacle and world building that is often best accomplished with very wide establishing shots.

Lord of the Rings - The wide shots of Helm's Deep not only serve as beautiful spectacle in their own right, but also display the layout of the fortress in a way that makes the ensuring battle comprehensible. There's this one I linked, but if I recall there's also a few beautiful crane shots right over the keep leading into conversations about the defenses.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/d/d3/Helm's_Deep_-_TtT.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20190705232343

Star Wars - Our first glimpse of Coruscant (not sure if this screenshot is the first time we see it) communicates so much about the planet.
https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/Coruscant-Gallery-1_d654d3d0.jpeg?region=100%2C91%2C1000%2C563

On the other hand, personal dramas sometimes don't need as much pure visual setting, or are obvious enough that it's not needed. If our hero lives in an apartment, do we need to see the outside first, or is it very well understood what type of space it is without it?

22 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

I think that, as with many things, the only rule is to choose what tells the story best without resorting to dogma.  Hitchcock was also, situationally, a fan of opening with the wide establishing shot and then bringing the shots closer and closer to the subject.

The point is always the need and question of operating with the POV with or without shallow DOF. The issues with that equals to those who are addicted to that look the same ;- )