Next to be obsolete: Making a living

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

All it takes is a tiny amount of prompt engineering.

Just a tiny amount.

59 minutes ago, Clark Nikolai said:

Also, the experience of making something is better when it's something tangible. I used to work at a post production house  so all day I would be looking at a screen, it was a nice break to go load the dishwasher in the coffee room sometimes just because the dishes were real and I could touch them.

Is this the secret to embracing household chores then?

59 minutes ago, Clark Nikolai said:

I think that's a bit why there's interest in shooting film now (stills and motion) is that it's tangible. Even if it'll just get digitized and viewed the same way as digitally sourced images, the making of it is a different more satisfying process to some.

The Wallace and Gromit films are real claymation even though it could be entirely done in CG. It's just a better result and probably more fun making it.

You couldn't do it in CG though because it would be the computer moving stuff, whereas claymation is about the human hand moving stuff. It's a big difference.

Back when i found out about this forum everybody wanted democratization of the filmmaking process (f.e.: 3K for 3K). And now we have that and we find out that the medium has become worthless and filmmakers are even more like musicians were.  In my opinion it was much harder to reach mid level (f.e. shooting 35mm) back in the days, but easier to move from mid level to top level... Now it is easier to move from nothing to mid level. Overall i guess the amount of jobs and the overall money in the market has risen considerably since 2000.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Chrille said:

Back when i found out about this forum everybody wanted democratization of the filmmaking process (f.e.: 3K for 3K). And now we have that and we find out that the medium has become worthless and filmmakers are even more like musicians were.  In my opinion it was much harder to reach mid level (f.e. shooting 35mm) back in the days, but easier to move from mid level to top level... Now it is easier to move from nothing to mid level. Overall i guess the amount of jobs and the overall money in the market has risen considerably since 2000.

We wanted democratisation of the art of filmmaking not so much the business of it.

It is important in the business end to always have demand outstrip supply. When anyone can pick up a cheap piece of kit and go and shoot adverts, then you have a problem.

Evidently not everyone can pick up a cheap piece of kit and shoot something artistically interesting, so it's still of value to do that.

The problem with that however is that you have to be very fortunate to make any money doing so.

The film industry has put group-think, profits and franchise filmmaking before creative interest, and is now struggling with an unappealing product that is watered down and too much in abundance, i.e. mediocrity in creative terms now passes for the gold standard as long as it has a high production value and gets made by one of the big streaming channels.

It doesn't grab people's attention in a world that is very demanding on one's time and attention.

This isn't the fault of the EOSHD Forum btw.

There's the technology side which is causing the supply and demand problem in the low-end of production and the lukewarm content, oversupply of material killing the high-end of production.

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It doesn't grab people's attention in a world that is very demanding on one's time and attention.

This isn't the fault of the EOSHD Forum btw.

There's the technology side which is causing the supply and demand problem in the low-end of production and the lukewarm content, oversupply of material killing the high-end of production.

I am not sure i understand what kind of movie you  actually have in mind. I am with you that due to the recent streaming wars the market is oversaturated at the moment and this boom is over but on the other hand my watchlist is growing longer and longer with great films and series.

And of course that's not the fault of the EOSHD Forum - but the forum has been a great documentation of the change that has happened in the recent years.