Lumix Live Event Stream 8th October 15:00 BST

BTM_Pix

5 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Since many people already own usb c cables, packing a new one with every gadget results in a lot of waste. The reasoning is that not including a cable and charger with every product will both save millions of cables from being thrown out, and save a lot of packaging material since the box can be smaller. When people need cables they can buy one separately. I personally think it's great to standardize cables and not include them by default.

I see, fair, Thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Call me cynical but as the S5 already charged over USB then they could simply have removed the charger from the boxes to become compliant rather than make a whole “new” camera for a specific region.

After all, the changes come in at the end of 2024 and it’s not as if the original S5 was going to have much of a life beyond that anyway as a new product.

They could also make additional money by selling the chargers separately.

I know that no manufacturer is going to say “we’ve got shitloads of these in a warehouse and need to get shut of them” but this stretches creativity in spinning that situation very thin.

Also, the famously absolutely NOT part of the EU anymore UK government has previously stated that it wouldn’t align itself to this particular EU directive.

Mind you, they say a lot of things.

My conspiracy theory is that they took a production run of the old box camera and a production run of the S5ii and swapped the internals to make the new box camera and whatever the hell this is on the basis it would be easier to clear stock of a “new” S5 than the old box camera.

I’m only kidding of course but it makes about as much sense as their given reason.

With the S5D, it was a similar situation to the G100D (notice the "D"). Both needed some sort of compliance with EU rules and both probably had significant stock left- too much to simply write it off. So yes, they're finding a way to make money with them.

The other point is that the S5 has arguably better image quality over the S5ii due to less processing. I've never been able to verify that, but others say so.

Lastly, it should be noted that I'm eating my own words in that Panasonic issued a recall on their latest firmware update to the S9. No one understand exactly what was going on, but it was enough to temporarily stop the rollout. The S5ii isn't affected apparently.