X-M5 New Fujifilm Creator Focused Camera

Ninpo33

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Definitely one of the best stabs at a social mirrorless camera yet.

I don't like to think of it as a "Content from creators" era camera, it's more than that... like compact X100V alternative, great for travel adventures and street photography.

Loving that new film dial too.

Fuji have however missed a trick not releasing a higher-end $1500 X-E5 at same time with IBIS, EVF and the newer 40mp sensor. Maybe they didn't want to cannibalise the X-T5.

• Super Members

I think this a pretty significant release.

The lack of IBIS wouldn’t bother me for a few reasons.

Namely, that I can do without the destructive warping, a lot of Fuji lenses have OIS and the options for post stabilisation are now both more plentiful and more sophisticated.

$799 reminds us of how things used to be in the golden days of MFT before we all slept walked into accepting the received wisdom that three times that price was the price of a low-mid price camera body.

• Administrators

The price is fantastic, and the autofocus looks very capable too.

There's very little action under $1k with new releases so good on Fuji for keeping some excitement going.

Latest image processor is a plus too.

I would like to see what Small rig have in store, grip wise. A nice wooden grip please.

While I really dislike the film simulation dial (I shoot raw so it's wasted), I absolutely love the fact that Fujifilm put a joystick on every camera. I will never ever buy a camera (especially for photography) without a joystick for focus point selection. With most brands, you have to buy the upper-mid / high-end models to get a joystick as focus point selector.

The Fuji X-M5 looks pretty exciting, especially for the price. The open gate sensor is a big plus for anamorphic shooters.  The lack of in body stabilization is an issue. As for autofocus, Fuji’s “AI-driven” system sounds promising, but I’m waiting to see how it performs in real-world scenarios before getting too excited.

I’ve got my own thoughts on how it compares to something like the Panasonic S9, especially when it comes to autofocus and video. But what y’all really think? On another note those film simulations look good for quick work. 

Well I was a bit of a Fuji fanboy for almost a decade starting with the OG X100 right up to and ending with the XT3.

Was going to then be XT4 and had a pair on preorder but Covid got in the way and the LUMIX S5 came along and I had little kit at the time so a switch to a 'full frame XT3' made sense to me.

I could easily build a system around the XH2 and XH2S today but it would be a sideways move so not going to happen, even though the new 16-55mm f2.8 looks very promising.

If I was looking for a personal camera, this new baby boy could have been a contender, though I think I'd go Ricoh GRiiiX for a bit of fixed lens purity over a slowish zoom.

Tougher call vs the S9 because depending on your needs, the S9 is a more capable camera as long as you can live without the mech shutter and are happy to pay a lot more.

I think where it gets most interesting is Fuji's film sims vs LUMIX's custom baked in luts and both have a pano mode I believe?

For me, it would come down to the system I was in so as primarily a LUMIX user for video and Sony for stills, as a personal camera, I'd go S9 or ZV-E1, but if I was with Fuji, I'd actually spend a little more and go for the XS-20. Or even XE4.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Tougher call vs the S9 because depending on your needs, the S9 is a more capable camera as long as you can live without the mech shutter and are happy to pay a lot more.

Here’s the rub: imagine if the S9 and X-M5 were the same price. We’re essentially talking about ecosystem, mechanical shutter vs. none, and IBIS. For 'small and portable,' Fuji has the lenses, whereas Lumix is apparently struggling. I’d be okay without a mechanical shutter, but the problem is the X-M5 is significantly lighter and has one. Factor in the massive value proposition, and the X-M5 takes the cake. Panasonic has a serious problem, but its saving grace is the IBIS. You could argue that Panasonic is smaller because of the IBIS, whereas with Fuji, you either need to carry a tripod or a gimbal. Their EIS isn't cutting it for me. Still, I’d keep an eye out for Black Friday deals because Panasonic has traditionally been very competitive. The real question is: will there be any X-M5 cameras available by then, or will they all be sold out? My guess is they’ll all be gone.

Looking at the two cameras, though, I prefer the Panasonic’s aesthetics. Since I already have the S5 II, I’d probably stick with Panasonic (if there’s a massive deal). Otherwise, the S5/S5D is still an option for a second camera.

15 hours ago, bjohn said:

The lack of IBIS seems like a bad idea, though -- how effective will that electronic stabilization be? Probably most users will be shooting this handheld unless they really are thinking of it for vlogging where it'll be sitting on a tripod.

True, X100 V did not have ibis though too. My question would also be wether there is a lightweight Gimbal available.

4 hours ago, John Matthews said:

The real question is: will there be any X-M5 cameras available by then, or will they all be sold out? My guess is they’ll all be gone.

Yes, i ordered one and will let you know. Question also is wether the 27mm pancake that is unavailable most of the time will be available as i believe everyone will want it for this camera...

• Super Members
29 minutes ago, Chrille said:

My question would also be wether there is a lightweight Gimbal available.

Zhiyun Crane-M 3S and FeiyuTech Scorp Mini 2 would be contenders.

Both are reasonably compact and not outrageously expensive and offer camera control as well as having enough weight handling to cope with much bigger cameras too with expansion options for focus motors.

The Scorp Mini 2 has additional useful functionality with its built in AI tracking.

Panasonic’s history of aggressive discounts around Black Friday is worth keeping in mind. Last year, for example, we saw major price cuts on their S5 models, some up to $800 off. If the S9 follows suit, it could make the choice between it and the X-M5 even tougher, especially for anyone prioritizing video features and stabilization.

That said, Fuji’s value proposition with the X-M5 remains strong, lighter, more portable, and a mechanical shutter are huge advantages. It’ll be interesting to see which camera wins out for those looking to invest during the sales season. Anyone else planning their purchase around these upcoming deals?

• Super Members

Just going off prices at B&H (dream on for UK/EU punters of course) the S9 with the new 18-40 kit lens is $1797.99.

Whereas the following :

• Fujifilm X-M5
  • 15-45mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens with OIS and Power Zoom
  • Viltrox 23mm f1.4 AF
  • Meike 55mm f1.4 AF
  • Fujifilm 55-200mm f4.5-6.7 OIS zoom MK2

Adds up to $1796.99

So for a dollar less (not sure what that buys you in NY anymore but still) you can have the camera, a more useful kit lens due to the OIS and the power zoom, two fast and very capable third party AF primes and a real hidden gem of a stabilised telephoto zoom.

For anyone not married to L mount looking at an S9, that is a pretty compelling alternative as you can get a really comprehensive kit instead.

IBIS and Full Frame be damned !

The price difference is indeed a bit nuts.

The S9 IMO, should be €£$999 body only.

With the little Fuji, I'd go straight for the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8

Not much bigger but 2 stops faster at the long end which is also slightly longer.

The lack of IBIS is the only niggle for me which is why I'd go for the XS-20 if I was in this market.

But at just over 300g body costing under 900 that can shoot 6k open gate and Braw externally? That's a bits nuts innit?!

Pro tool, I'd still go S9 though.

But then I'd go S5ii (as I did) over S9...but that is just my use/needs case.