X-M5 New Fujifilm Creator Focused Camera

Ninpo33

21 hours ago, MrSMW said:

D. Panasonic’s market share is lower than Fujis with Fujis image increasing (TikTok X100 just one example) whereas LUMIX has flatlined at best. Without a halo product in an S2R or S2H very soon, they risk cardiac arrest as even within The Community, folks WILL increasingly jump ship. It’s a dog eat dog world and folks generally do not back losers and LUMIX is in very real danger of being seen as a basket case.

Ideally Panasonic should have two "flagship" products, one for enthusiasts to eat up and another for influencers to love. 

I guess they hoped the S5mk2 and S9 would be that. But the S5mk2 wasn't an S1Hmk2, and the S9 is a little too pricey. 

Fujfilm is dominating the influencer segment with their X100 series and now the X-M5. A new X-H3S could see them run away with the enthusiasts end of the hybrid shooters segment as well. 

I could say similarly for Sony too, the likes of Sony ZV-E10 + Sony ZV-1  + Sony ZV-1F have seen Sony be very popular with the vloggers / "influencers" / social media "content creators". While of course with the Sony FX30 / FX3 they've been crushing it for the more serious enthusiasts / semi pros.  

18 hours ago, Ninpo33 said:

Specs are solid but that is not a “prosumer” camera. S9 is not a prosumer camera. FX30, FX3, X-H2s, S5iix is what I think most people would classify as “prosumer”.

I agree.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/17/2024 at 6:39 AM, BTM_Pix said:

To be fair, their own product page for the S9 certainly says otherwise though.

It’s all about the casual shooter.

Particularly the crossed out edit graphic.

I don’t disagree that it does a lot more but that’s what they’re aiming at based on their own marketing.

Which is another aspect of the bundled launch in not having the right lenses or the right type of “reviewers” there.

They hedged their bets and it all just looked very confused.

Plus, the S5ii 😉

IMG_6241.thumb.jpeg.56a0b43401a56bfc485e52c1e7897a6d.jpeg

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-mirrorless-cameras/lumix-s-full-frame-cameras/dc-s9.html

I get it, but here’s the thing, while Panasonic’s marketing for the S9 does mention the casual shooter, the features they’ve packed into it are clearly aimed at more advanced users. That’s where the confusion comes in. Panasonic seems to be trying to appeal to both casual users and professionals, but the camera’s actual design and capabilities are more aligned with the needs of the pros. It’s a bit of mixed messaging. They’re promoting it broadly, but in reality, the features go far beyond what most casual shooters are looking for.

The launch only added to this confusion by targeting the wrong lenses and reviewers, which didn’t align with casual users. So, while the marketing might say “casual,” the S9’s functionality clearly points to a more advanced audience. And that brings it to another frustration. Panasonic’s split between MFT and L-Mount. Instead of unifying their systems, they’re pushing L-Mount for full-frame, which leaves Micro Four Thirds users feeling a bit sidelined.

It would’ve been smarter to find a way to make L-Mount lenses compatible with MFT bodies via an adapter. Sure, there are technical challenges, like the difference in sensor size and flange distance, but companies like Metabones have shown that it’s possible. If Panasonic had figured out a way to bridge the gap, it would have been much easier for users who are invested in both systems. Instead, we’re left juggling two separate ecosystems, which doesn’t feel necessary when both could benefit from more seamless integration.

50 minutes ago, Alt Shoo said:

I get it, but here’s the thing, while Panasonic’s marketing for the S9 does mention the casual shooter, the features they’ve packed into it are clearly aimed at more advanced users. That’s where the confusion comes in. Panasonic seems to be trying to appeal to both casual users and professionals, but the camera’s actual design and capabilities are more aligned with the needs of the pros. It’s a bit of mixed messaging. They’re promoting it broadly, but in reality, the features go far beyond what most casual shooters are looking for.

The launch only added to this confusion by targeting the wrong lenses and reviewers, which didn’t align with casual users. So, while the marketing might say “casual,” the S9’s functionality clearly points to a more advanced audience. And that brings it to another frustration. Panasonic’s split between MFT and L-Mount. Instead of unifying their systems, they’re pushing L-Mount for full-frame, which leaves Micro Four Thirds users feeling a bit sidelined.

It would’ve been smarter to find a way to make L-Mount lenses compatible with MFT bodies via an adapter. Sure, there are technical challenges, like the difference in sensor size and flange distance, but companies like Metabones have shown that it’s possible. If Panasonic had figured out a way to bridge the gap, it would have been much easier for users who are invested in both systems. Instead, we’re left juggling two separate ecosystems, which doesn’t feel necessary when both could benefit from more seamless integration.

The S9 was a debacle from conception to their current marketing of the camera. Many of the people invited to the event were so surprised that they thought the S9 was completely thrown together at the last minute. Many have the theory that another camera that was meant for the event, but something went horribly wrong just before and it was too late to cancel. The result was a shotgun wedding called the S9.

The S9 is not a ‘pro’ camera.

It can be used in a professional capacity by a professional user, but no way is it aimed for such.

It’s more a ‘high end interchangeable lens compact’ really.

Yes you can stick a big cine or tele lens on it, but it would be so compromised as a result, why would you? 

On 10/16/2024 at 1:24 PM, John Matthews said:

I still haven’t seen a single YouTuber talk about the S9 who wasn’t given one for free. Has anyone? Yet, Sean from Panasonic says they’re selling like crazy, along with the G100. It must be an alternate universe thing.

Same here, but not impossible.

Here in this forum nobody talks about the ZV-E10 I and II, and probably is the most sold Sony camera, in number of units. In a "creator" group that I was some time ago, the ZV-E10 was the camera from about 80% of the users. And the ones that started to make money, updated to the FX30 or FX3.

There are a lot of people talking about it online that didn’t get it for free. Obviously there was the first wave of influencers that got it early but after people started  buying it and posting. I’ve seen 5 or 6 YouTubers that review stuff from their own purchases or rentals. 

As someone who shoots 75% video and 25% stills or so, the S9 is a perfectly fine camera. It now can be picked up new open box for around $1,100 sometimes with a lens. Mini 6k open gate anamorphic footage with amazing IBIS is a deal for that price.